Thread: Intake on a 90%

Hello,
    I just had the first part of my job done. The Convert Oil to gas, went with a 90% trane. I have a ques. does the unit need a intake for fresh air, they didnt put one. It is in a 25x15 basement area. Guy said not needed. This is in Ny, NY. Thank you I will ask as the jobs goes on I hope it comes out great?????
    T

Most manufacturers make a 1 pipe furnace & a 2 pipe furnace. The 1 pipe furnace pulls the air from the area that its in. It can still pull outside air though, which is ALWAYS PREFERRED. I would at least make sure he shows you the paperwork saying that its a 1 pipe system. Even so, if it were mine, I'd want it pulling from the outside. If the basement is well vented though, you'll be fine.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Some day stand outside by your vent, watch how much blows out the end. It came from somewhere, with a one pipe system it put your house in a negative pressure and pulled in in through infiltration. You pay to heat it only to send it back out again.

with the furnace btus and that space the intake pipe is recommended but not required ask your contractor to install it even at xtra cost.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Some day stand outside by your vent, watch how much blows out the end. It came from somewhere, with a one pipe system it put your house in a negative pressure and pulled in in through infiltration. You pay to heat it only to send it back out again.
    I know what your saying but if the furnace is in a basement or attic thats well ventilated, I wouldnt think it would put the living area in a negative pressure. & before anybody jumps on me, I'm a big believer in outside air, I always do it.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

A 15' x 25' x 8' basement would be ok for a max 60,000btu furnace as a 1 pipe system.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The unit is a trane XL90
    I want to thank you all....
    This site is great...

Are there any other gas fired appliances in the basement? All appliances must be considered when determining if this is a confined space or not. If there are seperate rooms in the basement with doors you may not be able to count these areas. Have someone determine from the Gas Code Book what needs to be done.