I keep hearing people talk about digital thermostats. I currently have two XV80 variable speed 3 ton trane furnaces up in my attic. One for upstairs the other one for down stairs. I keep hearing about two stage thermostats and various other fancy thermostats. Currently I have a standard electronic thermostat (Hunter). Basically it has a heat or cool switch. The thermostat allows me to have 4 different cooling or heating settings througout the day. I just set the time of day and temperature for these 4 settings. What would be the advantage to purchasing a 2 stage thermstat? I believe that would be the correct term for it. Hopefully I am making sense out of this message. I appreciate all the input that I have recieved in the past on this board. It is a wonderful information source for a consumer like me.

If your furnaces are 2 stage, you're better off with 2 stage stats. Better to let the stat determine what stage the furnace is running in than a timer in the circuit board of the furnace. For instance: If you have a 2 stage furnace with a single stage stat and you set the stat to 70, and its 65 in the house. Most 2 stage furnaces will start off in 1st stage for 10 min or so and then ramp up to 2nd stage. If you have the 2 stage stat connected, the system would go right to high fire and then ramp down when temp gets to 69 on stat.(depending on settings on stat of course)

Great, so basically with a digital 2 stage thermostat, the thermostat will be controlling what stage the furnace will run at instead of the board on the furnace. Can you buy 2 stage thermostats or is this something a professional has to install?

Well.... you "can" buy 2 stage stats, and they aren't exactly impossible to wire. But.... a pro can sell you a much better stat, guarentee it'll work (properly), and no chance of damage to the furnace if you wire something wrong.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Originally posted by amickracing
    Well.... you "can" buy 2 stage stats, and they aren't exactly impossible to wire. But.... a pro can sell you a much better stat, guarentee it'll work (properly), and no chance of damage to the furnace if you wire something wrong.

Yep.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I agree with the guys. Get yourself a good two stage stat on that nice XV furnace.

With this, you get a much better comfort in your home.

Most of us here likes the Honywell Vision Pro TH8320.

I have it on mine, and well spent money.

As a contractor, I try to always put in top notch thermostats. Its the only part of the hvac system that the customer really sees on a daily basis. They feel the comfort from the system but I want them to love their thermostats that they are tinkering with all the time. LOL
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.