Our furnace is a HQCO Model # Nugg100H01.It was put in with an outside Heil Condenser. After AC people worked on it last year it started being very very noisy, since it is about 17 years old we think we should replace it. Will a new one be as quiet or quieter than ours was? Quiet is pretty important. What brand is a reliable, medium priced unit? This old one has been excellent.

The old Heil units were pretty noisy.

17 years, time to replace.

The more expensive the equipment the quiter the system, as a general rule.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

The old one was pretty quiet. I thought in 17 years of advances they might be quieter now.

the new high effeciency condensers run more quietly than any 17 yr old condenser.get 3 different price quotes from reputable contractors.

Wink

there hav been many advances in quiet tecnology TRANE has an XLi series of units that have been designed to be nearly inaudible ask for variable speed motors totally enclosed cabnet plastic basepan etc TRANES in my experience tend to last much longer good luck

Heil is a ICP product. I would stick with a ICP condenser. I have put in quite a few Tempstar slant top units. The model # starts with TCA. They are very quiet units & are reasonably priced. If you want one, you better hurry to get a 10 seer. Our distributor is already sold out of the 10 seer slant top units.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

I'm just needing a furnace and not a condenser. We have a new condenser that is about 2 years old and it is a Lennox and I don't like Lennox.

A rheem mod furnace is the quitest around, the duct has to be correct for it to be super quiet.

Do a search for the "Rheem Mod" on this site.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Hopefully the Lennox guys installed a new indoor coil as well. With that you can choose any furnace provided its sized correctly.
    I'd suggest since your thinking about replacement, shop around. See if you can hear a working unit at the shop or at a customers home. References are a valuble tool. Noise can be attributed to improper installation and sizing as well. 90% sealed combustion furnaces are the most quiet,and efficient. 2 stage and modulating units are quieter, but considerably more expensive. For cost ,check out the single stage units. Several out there that are quieter than your unit. I won't recomend a brand tho, just a Co. that is willing to let you "listen" and stand behind the work better than the last one did.
    Hope this helps.
    Contactor
    never say never

Yes the coil was the first thing replaced and about a week later the outside unit froze up so that was replaced.(2 years ago) Last summer they took the furnace blower out and cleaned it and it has been noisy ever since. We have been told by others we have talked to that they lost the balance weight off it. Anyway it's old, so now we just need to replace it. I think there is a home show coming up next month if I can stand to wait that long I could hear some of the units running.

An a/c unit shouldn't normally freeze up. There is a lack of airflow, oversize A/C or some other problem,that your NEW furnace could inherent.
    whomever you hire,make sure you discuss the A/C problem as well. The furnace blower is making noise now,after cleaning.You need to get all 3 problems resolved.
    Don't be afraid to call the Lennox contractor as well.
    A warranty is for parts and labor,and quality and preformance of work done.
    Contactor
    never say never