Thread: LP Fired Boilers

Post Likes
    We are building a house and are receiving proposals on the HVAC system. Obviously, each contractor has their own preferred units. My question is how do I determine the best manufacturer for my project?

I thought I was pretty well set thinking I would go with a high efficiency condensing unit, specifically the Peerless Pinnacle. However, I've been told that Buderus and Viessmann are a more premium product. I'm allowing additional room in the budget to pay for a high end unit, but I want to spend smartly.

Recently, I got thrown by someone telling me I should stay away from condensing boilers (this person is impartial). His statement was that the condensation is acidic and deteriorates the components. He suggested going with a conventional boiler since the energy savings between 85% and 95% AFUE would not make siginficant differences in the energy bill.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I will always second guess my decision. Is there any way to determine the BEST system.

Post Likes
    Condensing boilers are made with consideration to teh condesate.

I prefer the Weil McLain Ultra over teh pinnacle.

You buy the outdoor reset control as an option with Peerless, Its standard with the Ultra.

You have to ask yourself, is 10% a year worth it to you.

Is you gas rate going to be the same 15 years from now, as it is now.

gto boy Guest
    We sold so many Peerless boilers last year we got a bunch free,but I would go the the ULTRA it is sweet!!!!!!

Post Likes
    In my area LP is the most expesive way to heat a house. Go with the highest eff.unit. LP gas prices will only get higher.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies:

One of the bidders said he was staying away from Weil McClain due to a recall they had or some manufacturing defect. He wasn't very clear about it, and I got the feeling he just wanted to stay away from WM. Any truth to this??

Also does a 10% difference in AFUE translate directly to 10% less fuel consumption??

Post Likes
    I think there was an inducer fan or pressure switch issue on the 155 (I think) a few years back when it first came out. Nothing recent that I recall.

You could do much better then AFUE in a low temp radiant system where the water temp utilizes condensing mode all the time. I think AFUE uses 140° boiler water. So it's impossible to get AFUE # over 93% efficeny on a boiler.

I would think a modulating boiler also adjusts to the heat loss better. A fixed fire 84% rated boiler that's incorrectly sized might be givig you less.

Post Likes
    By low temp radiant, do you mean radiant floor as opposed to baseboard? Or is there a difference among baseboards?

Too late for me to go in-floor radiant.

Post Likes
    We've only done 4 or 5 155's, the majority that we put in are 230's and 310's. Only had 2 blowers, and a modual go out.

The WM 155 and above came with 0011 circs, and they had troubles, now they come with 0014 circs.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by gjp
    By low temp radiant, do you mean radiant floor as opposed to baseboard? Or is there a difference among baseboards?

Too late for me to go in-floor radiant.
    Well, you can't run the boiler at 90-100 water temp for the most savings with baseboard. But have your contractor calc your BB needs with 140° water temps rather then 180°.
    Means a few extra feet of BB in most rooms but you'll save in the long run. Panel rads are another great option as they offer you some radiant heat also. The cooler you run the boiler temp the more you save.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in