Angry

diagnosed three 9 year old Lennox furnaces in the same house with cracked heat exchangers. I was called for a second opinion.

I'm always cautious when rendering an opinion on cracked heat exchangers giving the previous tech every benefit of a doubt, after all he may have seen something I didn't. He claimed carbon monoxide levels exceeding 147 ppm on one furnace, 30 and 14 on the others with all reading taken within the living space. Further claimed that temperature reading taken at the curve in the heat chamber registered 68 when it should have been 58. What???

Anyway I tested it with a Testo 825-M and during an hour at the home found the only elevatged reading (+1 ppm) inside the residence was at the kitchen range which was off. There was, however, an aquarium there and a coffee pot was plugged in so I think the moisture from those gave me a false positive.

I then tested the units and found no failures.

Previous tech suggested that the heat exchangers needed to be changed and the cost would be $700 each.

My question: does it sould like a scam or was the tech just poorly trained? Or better yet - was he a well trained scam artist?

Frank
    No good deed goes unpunished.

who knows about the first tech?

the important thing is: how sure are you of your readings? when was your unit last calibrated? against | to what standard?
    what did you tell HO?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

cem-bsee,
    Yes, I"m sure of my readings and the unit was factory calibrated in August. H0 was told that the other tech had probably made a mistake; further told that ALL homes need a carbon monoxide detector even if the ones commercially available often fail, even a 1% success rate is better than no success at all.

The "Old Line Company" is in the DFW area and has a reputation among local pros. This is my third second opinion behind them and the others were bogus too.

Frank
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Did you check the flue pipes for changes in O2 and CO readings when the blower started. Or cells if nat draft.

The other tech may have been there after a car was warmed up in the garage, and picked up Co from that.

The 58 and 68? you got me stumped.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

tha's why ...

theyr still in biz ...

high profit margins