Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vacation days

Originally posted by 2cold4u
    Barty, got one for you, I'm self employed and can do what the hell I want.
    yes but you don't get paid for it though do you!!

Cheers

richard

Backatcha Barty,

Thanks for the apology. Very much appreciated.I apologize also for having been defensive.

We're cool

Let your mind roll on...

In the USA an Engineer is an official title given to someone with a Batchelor of science degree in engineering.
    Mechanical,electrical,civil,chemical,software etc...
    According to websters dictionary its anyone trained in engineering ,using scientific and mathmatical principles for practical applications.

An Engineer in the HVACR field would be a Mechanical Engineer.So if you post a job ad for an HVACR Engineer, you would expect to get applications from Mechanical Engineers,more white collar but not full suit.50-100k to start plus whatever else he needs.
    A Mech. Engineer would design and layout the equipment. An HVACR Mech. would install, service,repair, and sometimes reengineer the equipment.This is where the term (engineer) is more loosely used. Such as an in house engineering Dept. for a multi complex of buildings like malls or a high rise. Where in you would have several different trades working out of one Dept ie HVAC,plumbing,electrical,carpentry,...but none of them are actual engineers with a degree but everything they do takes a degree of engineering.

So its off the charts cool to be able to converse with you from the UK.

This HVAC Talk is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it easy

Jeffer

if I'm not mistaken, in the UK they call the janitors engineers, they are weird up there, must be a british thing.

We were thinking of moving to Scotland a while back and I found a company and emailed them about their HVAC design department. I got told that with the courses I took here, over there I'd be called an Engineer. Stay there 2 years, I come back here and I could call myself an Engineer. We decided it best to stay put and have me open up my own shop and see where it goes from there.
    I look forward to the day when hubby feels he's ready to tell the boss to shove it and come over to the dark side. LOL

Originally posted by hvacpope
    if I'm not mistaken, in the UK they call the janitors engineers, they are weird up there, must be a british thing.
    No actually we call 'janitors' 'caretakers' ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Originally posted by gha
    We were thinking of moving to Scotland a while back and I found a company and emailed them about their HVAC design department. I got told that with the courses I took here, over there I'd be called an Engineer. Stay there 2 years, I come back here and I could call myself an Engineer. We decided it best to stay put and have me open up my own shop and see where it goes from there.
    I look forward to the day when hubby feels he's ready to tell the boss to shove it and come over to the dark side. LOL

WE misuse the term frequently. A guy who fixes your car is a mechanic a guy who fixes your telephone, air con, is an engineer a guy who fixes your plumbing is a plumber but a guy who fixes your bolier is a heating engineer (and it could be the same person!!)

Although deciding NOT to move to Scotland is called a 'no brainer' !!

Cheers

Richard

bunch of cheap bastards there.

Barty, We are a bunch of workaholics here in the USA, we feel guilty if we take vecation time and we dont know what to do with ourselves when on vecation. Somebody has to support all the welfare takers or else they will scream opression and burn down are cities. Its a catche 22.

Cheers!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12