Direct Vent Install

I'm thinking about installing a direct vent fireplace. Our house is tiny, so I was contemplating cutting into the wall cavity and putting in a header to keep the fireplace from coming out too far into the room. Is this a good idea? Should I just vent directly through the insulated wall?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome Eh!
    There are better qualified techs on this site to answer your question. I do not install a lot of fireplaces.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Smile DV fireplace choices

If you place the fireplace inside the house and frame out for the venting with firestops, you'll have less cold air infiltration issues but lose floor space. If you really need that floor space, you'll have to cut out a large hole in the wall, construct a doghouse chase, weatherize it then install the fireplace within it. Much more expensive and more work but when floor space is at a premium, sometimes its the way to go.

HTH

Another option could be a corner installation you'll lose less floor space and not have as much construction to do.

Check manufactures venting guides. You may not be able to build into wall. Alot of smaller units are only 12" deep, and would likely do the job for you.
    There is no bad beer, some just taste better than others.

Try looking at the Brigantia fireplaces. They frame into a 2X6 wall and are only 6.5" deep. They are a AFUE rated direct vent fireplace. http://www.brigantiafireplaces.com/