I have two Taco hy-vents 150psi 240F that are leaking. Does anyone know what kind of time the furnace place will charge me to replace these? The system is a weil Mclain oil fired with baseboard heat. Thanks in advance.

It could take an hour or even more depending on what they do or need to do.
    They will probably check expansion tank to make sure its not flooded. And if there is a lot of air in the pipes before they start then they will need to bleed them all out. Well water takes longer to bleed air out then city water. They will also check to make sure hot water is circulating through all the zones and that the high limit shuts the boiler off at a safe temperature.
    If all they need to do is take the pressure off the boiler and change the hyvents it will be less than an hour. But at a minimum I would think they would make sure all zones circulate hot water and the high limit shuts the boiler off at a safe temperature.

Thanks. They just cleaned the furnace and did a tune up/eff test in October, so maybe I just need to replace the air vents?

Hmm Four

The system needs work done and parts. so I would say for starters four hours.Everthing takes time people that rush make mistakes. To just remove and install ya one hour but nothing is ever that simple just getting in the house can take up to 20 min.

Re: Four

Originally posted by propmanage
    The system needs work done and parts. so I would say for starters four hours.Everthing takes time people that rush make mistakes. To just remove and install ya one hour but nothing is ever that simple just getting in the house can take up to 20 min.
    Boy, four hours, you must get alot of repeat customers.

"YA RIGHT"

Mr Nut

And why is your time line

wally

Will you do it for an hour’s time if they do not have a contract with you, and how do you know there are no other issues? Water could be changing temperature for sum reason making the expansion tank work OT .If you where going on this call would you want the customer to say you take to long or would you like them to say that was fast and less pain full. What was your responds to his question with out giving up a price?

4 hours?! wow. I will just shut the boiler off myself and replace the hy-vent. Thanks for the info.

if all that is needed you can be talking about an hour to change a can vent. while the guy is there let him service the unit and check the expansion tank to.

four hours to replace an 1/8 air v ent seems kinda long

I've never taken 4 hours but....
    On more than one 20 year old boiler I have had to change a relief valve and then you realize the bladder tank is shot and the boiler drain won't stop leaking even with a hose cap and washer. So that has to be changed. Then you start to purge and you realize the 10 year old fill and backflo preventer is clogged with iron. But the old style unions don't match so you have to drag out the torch, flux, brush and sand cloth then sweat the new union on. Then you get it all purged and that little drip from the purge valve that was stopped by a hose cap and washer is now unstoppable. So now you have yet another zone to purge.

Re: wally

Will you do it for an hour’s time if they do not have a contract with you, and how do you know there are no other issues? Water could be changing temperature for sum reason making the expansion tank work OT .If you where going on this call would you want the customer to say you take to long or would you like them to say that was fast and less pain full. What was your responds to his question with out giving up a price?
    First of all he said he had Taco vents leaking,not relief
    valve. To replace vents and find the cause of leaking vent
    if any, Four hours of labor would be a little on the high
    side dont you think?
    I,ve been doing this for over thirty years and to picture
    a cause of taco vents leaking on a system, taking four hours to find seems just a LITTLE extreme.
    Just my opinion
    The wallnut

Re: Re: wally

Originally posted by wallynut
    First of all he said he had Taco vents leaking,not relief
    valve. To replace vents and find the cause of leaking vent
    if any, Four hours of labor would be a little on the high
    side dont you think?
    I,ve been doing this for over thirty years and to picture
    a cause of taco vents leaking on a system, taking four hours to find seems just a LITTLE extreme.
    Just my opinion
    The wallnut
    I'm just making a statement of things that you can come across especially if the boiler is 20 years old.
    For example he gets there to replace the hyvents and comes across a leaking pressure relief valve as well, etc., etc.
    How do you know what are all the problems with his boiler until you visually inspect it.
    I'm not saying that it is leaking.
    And if you notice I started my comments with "I've never taken four hours, but...."

Noone wants to replace 2 hyvents only to turn it into free callbacks because you didn't open your eyes and look at any other problem that the customer will call you back on and expect done for free.
    I think you are lumping what Propmanage and I said into one persons comments with the relief valve.

My comments were geared more to the homeowner anyways. So you can disregard what I am saying.
    He can see what we have to deal with by my comments. Its not always cut and dry. Could be an hour or less or it could be more. You never know until you start working on it.
    GET IT.

[Edited by oil lp man on 01-24-2006 at 06:38 AM]

Hmm Hour goes fast

Two vents start leaking at the same time, could possibly require more then just changing the vents and these two vents just may be ok and doing what they should be doing, venting? Something more may need to be done, as you can see I said yes to 1hr for just pulling and replacing the vents, actually probably about five minutes real time to tape and screw in place. If you can guaranty 1 hr for every call on a leaking vent good luck to you you’re a better man or you charge a lot more per hour. Thanks for your praise have a nice day.

I also agree with having them check the system out while they are at your unit. The best way to get your answer would be to ask the service person while scheduling. But yes the oil man has it right; things don’t always go so smooth. Any one ever ring the bell and wait, then as you start to leave some one yells I will be right down and 15 more minutes go by, then you get in and they have piles of junk in front of the unit and they just want to talk and talk. That can be an hour in its self.