Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Came home from a business meeting to a very cold house. The pilot keeps going out, the furnace is 20 to 25 years old, gas...I think I will need to replace it and would like some information. The size of the current one is 100,000 btu's. I will live here for an additional 2 to 5 years. Wonder if going higher efficiency is a good move? Also, what do folks know aobut American Standard furnaces?

Thanks very much

guit

When you sell your home most likely you will end up replacing your furnace anyway so you might as well do it now. No need to upgrade anything if you are moving soon. Just stick with a basic 80% AFUE,the payback for a 90% will take several years. I realize it gets pretty cold where you live Ohio maybe?

American Standard is a good brand and their two stage units are super quiet. Which will help since your bedroom is close to your furance and noise bothers your cats.

Since you don't have any cooling I wouldn't worry too much about an upgraded air filter.

O yeah, I forgot......you can't install a regular furnace in a mobile home unless it is mobile home approved.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Senior Tech Guest
    Okay Steve, I'll be the guinea this time...and you know all of this info based on this post? Or is this your display of the all mighty power of telepathy that you must have..."Steve, Prince of all that is mystical".

Senior tech - in my own mind its ok to be wrong...in fact it is a good thing. The truth comes out through the correction process. It is much better than someone not posting at all because they don't have enough facts.

So far my assumptions are:
    1. OP is a male, white collar, intelligent but not anal.
    2.. He lives in a cold climate that doesn't require cooling.
    2. He is not married, maybe wife passed away?
    3. Single males sometimes have cats
    4. He is moving because he doesn't need a 4 bdrm house anymore, kids are grown and gone.

ALL of this maybe wrong and I plan on revising it as the facts come in. Right now the picture is not painted very clear.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Senior tech - in my own mind its ok to be wrong...in fact it is a good thing. The truth comes out through the correction process. It is much better than someone not posting at all because they don't have enough facts.

4. He is moving because he doesn't need a 4 bdrm house anymore, kids are grown and gone.

ALL of this maybe wrong and I plan on revising it as the facts come in. Right now the picture is not painted very clear.

i think you nailed that one.

LOL I love it, I had to go read the 1st post again. I was thinking wow how did I miss all that.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

[/B]
    Not this male. I'm married but I wouldnt have a cat even if I was single & lonely. Cant stand em. ewwwwww
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Confused

I tried to reply yesterday but it did not show up.

I live in the North East, I am a single DAD, I do not have cats, I will keep thie house for about 2 or so years, maybe as many as 5..with the rebate the oil company is offerening a 92% will cost $350 more than an 80%, so no brainer on this one, these are American Standard single stage gas hot air furnaces. I am white collar and I am anal (too bad, it drives me crazy), but not as anal as many.I will move when my daughter graduated from HS and either get a condo or move in with my lady friend (into a new home for both of us, for me a condo will do just fine in either case)....and, I do not have a mobile home, shame on you....(I can't get those darn emoticons to work)

[Edited by guitone on 01-24-2006 at 09:39 AM]

Ahhhh much better info....

At least now we know he's not gay.

Thumbs down

Gay people need furnaces too.

Ahhhh much better info....

At least now we know he's not gay.
    You guys are brutal.....

I would go with a 90% furnace.
    I see nothing to indicate that gas prices will be going down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast