2 condensers, one evaporator

Can I replace a 10 ton single circuit, AC only condensing unit with two 5 ton split systems condensers?
    I have a situation where I cant replace the existing R-22 evaporator and a R22 condensing unit is not available.
    I plan on running the units in tandem. What controls should I have to make this work? How can I ensure proper and equal oil return? The old unit is 230V 3phase, 5/8 LL and 1 3/8 suction line.
    Any input would help.

I wouldn't. Get a matched 2 circuit coil. Otherwise, may have to use solenoids or checkvalves to aim refrigerant the right direction.

Buy a Goodman 10ton R-22 condenser.
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

One of the compressors will end up with all the oil. Then you know what happens to the other one.
    Nos operor non pensio volutabrum

the dual-circuit evaporator?

you can replace it with 2- 5 ton systems twinned into the same duct.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Checked with Goodman he in MD. No 10 ton R22 units available. The evaporator I have is a 3 circuit horizontal coil in a section of duct being used for a process. Changing that coil is not an option at this time. I'm thinking if I split the piping even between the two units, put check valves in the liquid lines, and install crankcase heaters, this might work. If only I could install a oil equalization linebetween the compressors.... Thoughts?

I am having a hard time believing you cannot get a 10 ton condenser, might need to make some more calls.

If you really cannot, can you repair the old one in any way? What is wrong with it?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"I say we just nuke them from space, that is the only way to be sure". Winch from ALIENS, forgot her name.

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

My front door is locked. For your personal protection.

Quote Originally Posted by FitterTom View Post
    Checked with Goodman he in MD. No 10 ton R22 units available. The evaporator I have is a 3 circuit horizontal coil in a section of duct being used for a process. Changing that coil is not an option at this time. I'm thinking if I split the piping even between the two units, put check valves in the liquid lines, and install crankcase heaters, this might work. If only I could install a oil equalization linebetween the compressors.... Thoughts?
    I JUST BOUGHT ONE about three weeks ago.

Call the Capitol Heights branch.
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

which is the current model or brand of your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by FitterTom View Post
    Please don't do it. Please don't try it. You will give HVAC a bad name.

Customer WILL HAVE to spend the money. Else, back off.

Wow. Goodman in Frederick has a 10 ton condensing unit. I checked a few weeks ago and none were available. Problem solved, thanks.