Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm Suction accumulator

I have a LAN room at a power plant, 30’x 15’ with 30 ton of cooling, 3- 10 ton splits, they don’t operate simultaneously, losing compressors due to slugging. What is the protocol for installing a suction line accumulator? Would this help saving compressors?
    COOL

You say they are slugging.

Why is the superheat dropping so low? Can you remedy the problem by correcting some defect in the system?

An accumulator will protect a compressor from intermittent slugs, but the amount of refrigerant that has to be coming back to slug a refrigerant cooled compressor is considerable. I am much more inclined to want to see the system's problems resolved before adding parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You say they are slugging.

Why is the superheat dropping so low? Can you remedy the problem by correcting some defect in the system?

An accumulator will protect a compressor from intermittent slugs, but the amount of refrigerant that has to be coming back to slug a refrigerant cooled compressor is considerable. I am much more inclined to want to see the system's problems resolved before adding parts.

X2...More information needed...Sounds like a candidate for variable speed condenser control and/or a liquid receiver too.. Much cheaper than an accumulator.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

How may tons of cooling do you need currently? How far away are the condensers and what elevation? Need more info..

I keep getting hang nails on my little finger, so I'm considering cutting my finger off.

A bit dramatic, but the point is that yes...the accumulator may protect the compressor against slugging/flooding....but it doesn't solve the problem.

Find out what is causing you to lose compressors. You say slugging. Are you referring to oil slugs or liquid floodback?

It could be poor piping,

TEV not set correctly,

running low load conditions below the TEV's ability to maintain superheat,

low air flow (from a variety of reasons).......

any low ambient controls on systems ?

I like accumulators

And typically accumulators will make life easier for compressors while causing no harm.

Installation protocol is to buy an accumulator which holds 50% of the system charge and pipe it in-between the evaporator and the compressor. Closer to the compressor is better.

But what exactly is happening on this job?

How do you know the compressors fail due to slugging?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by dukes13 View Post
    I have a LAN room at a power plant, 30’x 15’ with 30 ton of cooling, 3- 10 ton splits, they don’t operate simultaneously, losing compressors due to slugging. What is the protocol for installing a suction line accumulator? Would this help saving compressors?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

450 sq ft with 30 tons of cooling???
    There must be a wind tunnel in there.

100% outside air ?

Maybe 100% outside air? Two tens and a single backup unit?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    450 sq ft with 30 tons of cooling???
    There must be a wind tunnel in there.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Maybe its short cycling and burning up the compressor?

If the failures were due to mechanical problems, have you considered way too much oil in the system(s)? Depending on whether it's a scroll, hermetic, or semi you could be getting damage from oil slug also. Any elevation changes? Possible oil traps?

That's a lot of cooling for that small a room.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Ok it’s a computer room that needs cooling all the time. Do the units have economizers or are they designed for low ambient? Pressures and temperatures may be a big help, Ambient, sub cooling, Superheat, type of refrigerant? What time of the year are the compressors dying, fall and spring?

Always leave it better than you found it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast