I have (2) Infinity systems that are HP's and FE4A fan coils. Both of my systems have the same problem and I am wondering if this is a known bug in the system or not.

Both systems have KFCEH electric heaters, one 15kw and one 9kw. The heaters work great and both split into 3 stages. 15=5,10,15 and 9=3,6,9kw. The problem is that the user interface does not count the run times and cycles of the 3 stages of aux heat.

Both systems worked fine and counted the times and cycles of the electric heat for about 1 day and then just stopped counting. The rest of the functions work fine including the total time powered, times powered, HP run times in low and high ect. The only part that does not work are the aux heat.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Surely somebody looks at the cycles/run times on the aux heat?

I have a dual fuel Evolution, so my aux heat is the furnace, for which it displays cycle counts and times.

I do recall some threads here mentioning some of the counts being incorrect, but thought it was Low Cooling, not Aux Heating.

I've played with one all-electric Infinity system (FE4ANF005 with 15kw) and one dual fuel (58CVA070). Both systems had single stage "non-communicating" heat pumps from the 38YXA line.

They seem to track power-on and blower hours correctly at the air handler/furnace end, but tracking of heat pump and heat strip functions- cycle counters and runtime counters- clearly don't work. They don't all stick at 0, but those that aren't 0 clearly are too low to be right, too. I believe I've been told that the cycle/runtime counters definitely won't work right without the Infinity outdoor unit. Not sure the scoop on the heat strips but mine is just the same as yours, and I've heard others say this too.

My UI won't show anything about the three stages in the heat strips, and in fact I've never seen anything confirm that it's using them in three stages (as opposed to just on-off). I believe all the status indicators will tell me is that the Aux Heat is on or off. Do you get any indication of which stage or wattage level your strips are running while they run?

I haven't got much observation time in on that all-electric system, though, as I don't live with it, and I haven't tried to measure amp draws, supply temps, etc. I have my doubts about the three stages on that system, though. Incidentally, if anybody can clarify for me how to be certain if I'm getting the three stages or not, I'd really appreciate it. It's in a (very) light commercial application that is subject to demand charges from the electric utility, and it is almost certainly making a difference in our peak demand (15kw is mooooore than plenty in this case; it would be more than enough even if the heat pump was totally dead and we were at design temp).

[Edited by wyounger on 01-24-2006 at 02:56 PM]

Yes I can verify that both of these heaters 9kw & 15kw come on in 3 stages. The UI identifies them as 3 stages and I was still doubtful so I did clamp them both and sure enough it does break them down to 3 stages.

I am also on a demand meter system. The down side is if both systems defrost at the same time it will have all 24kw in service if the HP's are in high speed when the defrost starts. At least it only lasts 10 min max and my demand is suppose to be a 30 min period.

I have a non-infinity 38YZA024 cond unit on the upper system as a temp until the new 2 sp units are available. The UI still tracks the cycles and run time on it just fine. It just does not have the high/low sp, coil temp, etc and you have to set the defrost time with the DIP switches at the unit.

The only thing I find that does not count and or track properly is the strip heaters although they do work just like they should.

I have an Evolution HP and the low, med, and high aux heat counters are all at zero. All other counters ( low and high heat and cool from the heatpump ) look reasonable.

Originally posted by brjones
    I have (2) Infinity systems that are HP's and FE4A fan coils. Both of my systems have the same problem and I am wondering if this is a known bug in the system or not.

Both systems have KFCEH electric heaters, one 15kw and one 9kw. The heaters work great and both split into 3 stages. 15=5,10,15 and 9=3,6,9kw. The problem is that the user interface does not count the run times and cycles of the 3 stages of aux heat.

Both systems worked fine and counted the times and cycles of the electric heat for about 1 day and then just stopped counting. The rest of the functions work fine including the total time powered, times powered, HP run times in low and high ect. The only part that does not work are the aux heat.

Anyone else have the same problem?

OK, if you HAVE separate Low/Med/High counters, and I don't, I guess mine isn't set up for three stages. Thanks.

The UI set the low,med,high stages up when it went thru its initial install and identified all the components.

Are your heater strips the KFCEH model?

They are supposed to three-stage per the original order. I'll have to look at the unit to be certain what model they actually installed.

They definitely did not auto-identify. They had to enter manually that it was a 15kw setup.

If they didn't auto identify, then 3 stage won't function.

Factory knows about the cycle timers not working properly. Issue to be addessed with next software release. No retrofit or field fix -- software can't be flashed in the field. Not a warrantable item either.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.