Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My central A/C won't turn on?????

I went to my thermostat to turn on my a/c and its not coming on. Can anyone tell me Whats wrong please?

we cant tell you here what is wrong as our crystal balls are all cloudy and foggy today, your service provider will be able to assist you with this issue, please reread the site rules, we are not a diy advice site
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

yes, 1st, call a local expert to come and fix it, whatever the plethora/ myriad of problems it could be, will be revealed when you hire someone

Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

easy. its broke. call a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by lchnc123 View Post
    I went to my thermostat to turn on my a/c and its not coming on. Can anyone tell me Whats wrong please?
    Yes, it's that thing...

A_C

Are you the owner of the HVAC equipment, if not contact the owner.
    Don't do anything if you don't actually know how to do it properly...

Is it a programmable thermostat?

Since this could be a thermostat programming problem, I don't consider this DIY because the Owner/User is supposed to know how to operate it by using the thermostat's operating instruction manual.

Do you have the thermostat instruction manual?
    You might be able to access it through the Internet using the Make & model number.

If it is programmable it could possibly have gotten errantly programmed so it won't come on, & you may not know how to re-program it, etc.

If you know how, you could try taking the batteries out for a while & then replacing them using the proper polarization orientation.

If in doubt or that doesn't work call an HVAC contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by lchnc123 View Post
    This is an amazing question.

I agree with everyone's opinion....call a professional to work on it.

But...don't expect ANYONE to be able to diagnose a problem on a complex piece of equipment without having the opportunity to look at it first.

1-2-3

1) Make sure your thermostat settings are correct - many residential T-stats have a heat-auto-cool switch. If it's in heat, you won't get A/C.
    2) Check your circuit breakers, you likely have one at the breaker panel and one near the outdoor unit.
    3) How cold is it outside? Below a certain temperature (Manufacturer specific) the refrigeration likely won't come on to protect the equipment.
    4) Does the thermostat have batteries? If so, test or replace them.

Beyond that, you should schedule a service call to diagnose the issue. It's usually a pretty quick diagnosis; an AC system is pretty simple to a refrigeration expert, but it can be dangerous to work on for a homeowner.

Good luck,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLoves2ski View Post
    1) Make sure your thermostat settings are correct - many residential T-stats have a heat-auto-cool switch. If it's in heat, you won't get A/C.
    2) Check your circuit breakers, you likely have one at the breaker panel and one near the outdoor unit.
    3) How cold is it outside? Below a certain temperature (Manufacturer specific) the refrigeration likely won't come on to protect the equipment.
    4) Does the thermostat have batteries? If so, test or replace them.

Beyond that, you should schedule a service call to diagnose the issue. It's usually a pretty quick diagnosis; an AC system is pretty simple to a refrigeration expert, but it can be dangerous to work on for a homeowner.

Good luck,
    John
    I think this is an off the wall statement to make. To my knowledge, there are few if any mfr that install a temp cut off for air conditioning.

Your other suggestion are good, but this one is quite questionable. It should not be run below a certain temp without additional controls, but never assume things not in the post.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Could someone tell me how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Really I keep losing count

Whats a matter? Its'a broke. Calla da one'a who fixie de ac

Check your circuit breakers. If that doesn't correct your problem, call a service contractor.
    Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast