Thread: Powerflame?

Powerflame?

I've got a small powerflame gas burner m/nbcjr30a-12.
    It has a Fireye ep160 programmer and a ed160 display module. When i first took the call the burner was going into alarm, but the display on the module was fuzzy/blank and could not read it. I reset the burner and was able to get it to light off but the honeywell mod motor m9174c1025p seemed to be acting up. I shut down the system because the exspansion tank bladder was shot and i wanted to replace the display module. I went back to the site today and installed the new module. When i powered it up the burner motor would turn on, but my display would read "hold purge d-8 limit open" the entire cycle untill it locked out on purge d-8 limit open. No purge timer or anything. I have 120v power to my mod motor and 24v on the secondary but no movement in the linkage. Double checked all connections and didn't find anything wrong. I don't work on boilers everyday so any help would be appreciated. Does it sound like a bad mod motor or something with the programmer. TIA Fitz

Verify the mod motor 1st, assuming it is a 135 ohm mod motor by the model number (SERIES 90), jumper r-b and the motor should move to high fire position. R-W will drive it back to low fire. The fireye controller does this internally as part of the purge program. If the mod motor works check for loose wiring all the way back to th the fireye subase. Good luck.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/63-2190.pdf

When you say 135 ohm mod motor does that mean i can ohm the rwb terms.

Did you set dip switches identical to old module you replaced????

I replaced the digital display that mounts on the programmer. I didn't see any dip switches on it. Just plugged it in and connected the small cable that connects module to programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzyfitta View Post
    When you say 135 ohm mod motor does that mean i can ohm the rwb terms.
    No, the device (thermostat / pressure controller) that drives a 90 series mod motor is usually a 135 ohm wire wound potentiometer with rbw terminals. This device is in the circuit once the burner is lit and up and running. During purge the fireye internally jumpers R-B for high fire purge then R-W for low fire lightoff position then releases your 135 ohm controller once main flame is established. If you have 24 volts on T1-T2 and no movement occurs with R-B jumpered the mod motor is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrb View Post
    No, the device (thermostat / pressure controller) that drives a 90 series mod motor is usually a 135 ohm wire wound potentiometer with rbw terminals. This device is in the circuit once the burner is lit and up and running. During purge the fireye internally jumpers R-B for high fire purge then R-W for low fire lightoff position then releases your 135 ohm controller once main flame is established. If you have 24 volts on T1-T2 and no movement occurs with R-B jumpered the mod motor is toast.
    And may I also add, your "hold purge d-8 limit open" means your primary is looking for closure of terminal "d" and "8" during prepurge. That in your case is probably a end switch in the mod motor, to prove high fire position.

Thaks for all the replies... Anyway to check that end switch? I didn't notice one on the diagram of the mod mtr.

Thaks for all the replies... Anyway to check that end switch? I didn't notice one on the diagram of the mod mtr.
    Page 8 and 9 of the link I gave earlier shows the physical location of the switches, they run off the blue and red cams inside the motor.

Went back to site today. No movement with the mod mtr. I jumped r-w and had not movement. Jumped rb and it started to move but it was like it would move slightly back and forth with very little travel. Almost seemed like it is getting bound up. I also notice the Cams are white and not red or blue. I decided to try and make adj onthe small dials inside the mtr. Nothing happened until I made a adjustment on the R potent. And all of a sudden the cam fully stroked and made the end switches. Burner fired and I didn't watch it cycle A few times like I should have. Do you think the mtr is on it's way out or the pot dials were the fix? Thank's guys for the help

Went back to site today. No movement with the mod mtr. I jumped r-w and had not movement. Jumped rb and it started to move but it was like it would move slightly back and forth with very little travel. Almost seemed like it is getting bound up. I also notice the Cams are white and not red or blue. I decided to try and make adj onthe small dials inside the mtr. Nothing happened until I made a adjustment on the R potent. And all of a sudden the cam fully stroked and made the end switches. Burner fired and I didn't watch it cycle A few times like I should have. Do you think the mtr is on it's way out or the pot dials were the fix? Thank's guys for the help
    Impossile to tell for sure, I'm guessing at best that the pot you turned was making poor contact internally and you may or may not see re-occurrence. In my books now is your chance to correct an issue with a new mod motor verses having an annoyed customer because of a callback.