Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Confused Carrier Danfoss Compressor failures

Hello fellows, I would like to ask for responses from all techs that have had compressor failures on Carrier Aquasnap 30RB100 or simular chillers with Danfoss compressors. We have installed or have been involved with 3 of these chillers. All three have had one or two mechanical compressor failures just out of warranty each time. A total of 5 compressors from 3 units! Whats up? Over $6000.00 apiece for compressors. We have gotten the too bad sorry from our Carrier reps! Any ideas on what to do?

What year model are these chillers?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

They are 2006 models

Two of them were built within 3 weeks of each other. Two of the compressors are 5 units apart.

Make sure the setpoint for the suction superheat in the comfiguration menu is set to nine degrees. Some of the early Snaps were set at seven which is to low. Whats your
    leaving chill water temp?

48 degrees

What type of compressor failure? Faulty windings to ground or what? Had 1 that lost 7 out of seven within a week of each other 2 months out of warranty. ended up changing driers, oil and refrigerant as well as superheat setpoint as mentioned before. And carrier recomended strangley all seven contactors which ended up being physically larger and higher in amp rating. Hmmmmmm. 2 years later 3 months ago all 4 compressors circuit A all shorted to ground randomly with in 2 weeks. B circuit still humming along.

The compressor have either locked rotor or run but do not pump. This is a real bummer because it seems as though the choice to use the scrolls mat not be the wisest. The old 06's ran forever. Bill

With the new refrigerants that they want to use, it is either scrolls or screws. I sure miss the 06E's.

Another option would be to upgrade the SPM boards, lots of goodies added to them since your chiller was made if none have been replaced. I'd prefer a recip over a scroll any day but we are moving forward not backwards with technology.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I have a 2005 30RB160[7 compressors] and since install, have replaced 12 compressors, what to do?

What kind of Expansion Valves are on these chillers?

I have electronic X-Valves, don't know the brand off the top of my head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast