Two things:

1)I know that pricing is not something ussually accepted on this site. However, I do wonder how one is supposed to know if he is getting a fair price on a boiler? I am looking at a new Weil-Mclain Ultra 155 or 230, and I am wondering when my guy gets me a price how i am supposed to know if it's good. I don't want to get a ton of bids, but want to know if it's a good price.

2)Does anyone here know if these Weil-Mclain boilers are qualified for the tax credit for 2006. I am in the tax buisiness, and know that Code Sec. 25C talks about a provision for "Residential energy property which includes qualified electric heat pumps, and qualified natural gas, propane, or oil furnace hot water boilers" the credit is 100% of the cost of your qualified equipment put into service after January 1, 2006 and before January 1, 2008 upto $500 max.

Thanks for any help on this.

tax credit

I believe the tax credit is for boilers and furnaces with an AFUE of at least 95%. Good luck trying to find a boiler manufacturer with that AFUE rating. I don't believe their is one. I think the politicians were stroking themselves when they passed that one.

Ok, is it worth the 92 Afue then...

I am not going to get the $500 credit, which I dug into also, and it is only if 95 Afue or better, and it's only upto $150 on a boiler.

However, how do I know then if it's worh the extra money to get the ULTRA or just the one below it? And back to my original question, how do I know I am getting a fair price? Does anyone know of a wholesaler I can check with or ?

Thanks

If you're looking for an oil boiler, the Burnham MPO is a better choice.

I am looking for a LP boiler. I am replacing a 1970 Burnham oil fired boiler, fiesta I think is what it is called.

The Ultra is a very nice boiler and can save you a great deal of money as long a it is piped as per the manual.

Its efficiency is rated at 98% if it is used with infloor heat running not more than a 110 degrees. If you have rads then you will have a problem getting the tax credit since the efficiency drops down to around 92% when used with water temps in the 180 degree range.

The Ultra is an expensive boiler, But well worth it.

The only way to know if the price your being quoted is good, is to get 2 to 3 quotes on the same size Ultra's.

Next ask if he is does primary secondary piping when he installs modulating boilers.

Around here most houses have CI rads that are over sized by 40%, so we run the water temp at 150 max on those houses.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Been installing WM since forever. Last couple yrs been mixing in Burnhams. Why have I been using Burnhams when we are a WM Dlr? Ever have to try and deal with WM's factory mgt? My supplier and everyone in their place gets a scruntched up nausiated look on their face when it has to be done.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Thanks for your respones guys.

I was wondering if you guys could clarify, "Next ask if he is does primary secondary piping when he installs modulating boilers" and/or the comment "as long a it is piped as per the manual." in regards to how this boiler is piped.

I don't need all the details, but more so, how I can tactfully ask my guy if he is planning on piping it in correctly.

I have all baseboard heat currently, with an old Burnham oil fired boiler. My guy is planning on using an outdoor reset, which I currently do not have, but I don't have details beyond that.

THanks.

Outdoor reset, is when the boilers water temp varies with the outdoor temp, the colder it is outside, the hotter the boiler will make the water.

Secondary piping is the heating loop of your house, primary is the boilers loop piping.

Secondary 1 circ for the heating loop, or each zone, and Primary is another circ, that only circulates water through the boiler to and from the heating loop.

There will be piping diagrams in the Ultra's install manual.
    The Ultra's come with the outdoor reset option from the factory, makes it real easy to install.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Email me at dpvwia@yahoo.com and I can tell you what my Ultra 155 cost me (Cleveland area).

Dave