I'm in the process of a replacement furnace, adding A.C.

What opinions are there on location of the condenser unit.

1. Install ground level on a pad next to house.
    2. Install on roof @ existing location where swamp cooler sat.

Thanks for any input.

ic

Depends on where you live, but I would say it would almost always be better on the ground. Easier to maintain and fix. Plus it's kinda fugly when it's on the roof.

The only reason I can see to not put it on the ground would be if you had to run a really long lineset to get from the furnace to the outdoor unit, say over 60' or so.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

If there is vandalism is your neighborhood(not saying there is), go with the roof install. Otherwise,unless super-long lineset like was stated, on the ground. JMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Condenser on the roof will transmit compressor hum into structure if it is not properly isolated (still seems to even when iso pads are in place).

If you can, have condenser located on shady side of house. If nothing else, the service tech out to service your unit will appreciate a break from the sun on a hot day.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

If its a good residential area, I would put it in the backyard. I'm doing a job in a bad area of Memphis that has 4 systems & we're putting all of those on the roof. Its a big flat roof though with pretty easy access. Its the kinda area that you lock that truck up & still keep an eye on it.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

As a tech, I'd rather work on it on the ground.
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Thanks for the comments. I've had installers having preference both ways. I have the room on the ground, and it would be on the afternoon shaded side of the house. The total line distance from the furnace to attic, out vent and to ground level I would say is about 40 feet.

I have no idea what is required maintenance wise annually on the condensing unit since this is my first. I can't imagine it being anything like the swamp cooler on the roof that this is replacing with the hardest Rio Rancho NM water.

Noise was another issue. I thought we may hear more of it on the ground than the roof, but it would be directly mounted above the master bedroom in the same place where the swamp cooler is now.

ic