Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I just got a job at a company that works on mostly commercial.I'm really looking forward to learning the commercial part of the industry but I'm concerned about working at heights and climbing ladders.I've never had to worry about this before. How do you get over the Fear of heights and working on ladders? Any advice would be appreciated.

I work at an industrial facillity and almost all of my work is on the roofs.I'm up there rain,snow,and sun.1st don't be in a hurry to get up there.The broken unit will wait for you to make the climb.2nd set up a pouch with things that you can easily fix the small "quikey problems" don't make the mistake of having a bag full of everything.If you need a special tool you can go down and get it. I'd rather make 4 emty handed climbs than 1 with both hands full and fall.As far as heights go, I love em' the veiws are great in summer. winter in chigago gets a little old though.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Remember to tie down the ladder, the Chinese folks look at you kinda funny when climbing down a gas main at a strip mall.

[Edited by onesidedcoin on 01-12-2006 at 09:44 PM]
    An apprentice is half a journeyman ,two apprentices is a call back.

Put your tool pouch and meter in a bucket,tie a rope on and pull it up when you get to the top. You had both hands to climb and you have a seat while you work on the crappy rooftops.

After awhile climbing will become natural for you.

As has been mentioned always tie off your ladder.

Never become so comfortable that you take it for granted.

Always be aware of your body movement on a ladder, try to stay centered and maintain balance.

Stay safe.

We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

When the parking lot is icy, I set my ladder up then pull the van right up on it to prevent it from sliding.

Congrats on the new job!

Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Originally posted by a\c don
    always tie off your ladder.

Never become so comfortable that you take it for granted.

Stay safe.

tie off AND make a way to tell if it has been moved or messed with. mark where the feet are supposed to be or lean a wrench against the top side.when you come back and see these are tampered with ,you will know that the ladder is not the way you left it

get aladder top tool bag for the top of the A frame ladders. easer than going up and down all day long.

I wasn't exactly scared of heights when I started, but I wasn't completely comfortable either.

Seems like anything else, once you do it (safely) enough you'll get comfortable with it. Always be on your toes though, you never know what "could" happen.

And if you get any gut feelings something isn't safe don't do it. Figure a way to make it safe 1st.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this, I really appreciate it.

I used to haul everything up by rope. Get a couple of good ones (if you have a Tractor Supply nearby they have 'em) and add a carabiner to the ends. The worst trip up the ladder is the first. After you have it bungeed down it feels much better. Always make sure your ladder is long enough to extend 3 feet beyond the roof line. I refused jobs where my ladder was too short until the correct ladder was procured.

[Edited by TheEstimator on 01-13-2006 at 09:53 AM]
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

All good advice. Many places have roof entry which is really nice. As far ladders, don't take em for granted, I fell about 10 feet down on a sidewalk once, could have been bad, but I landed on my head.
    Since then I am very careful on them, even 6 foot ones.
    Right Wolfy??
    I don't go any higher on em than about 20 feet either.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    As far ladders, don't take em for granted, I fell about 10 feet down on a sidewalk once, could have been bad, but I landed on my head.
    did they make you pay for the crack in the sidewalk?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast