Repair or replace 15 yr. old 58MVP Carrier?

Hi, this is my 1st. post - I was directed to this site from a friend.
    Later today I have an appt. with my local contractor to go over my options / pricing ect...
    I have a 58MVP80 Carrier Serial # 2996A00720 that needs a new inducer motor assembly and the technician that was on the service call for that initial problem (Noise) said that the secondary heat exchanger looked to be corroded and will need to be changed out also. He did not run the furnace, he just did a visual through a small 1 1/2" X 2" hole.
    When I made the appt. for today, they mentioned a rebate for the secondary heat exchanger but didnt go into details.
    This is a 15 year old furnace that has worked very well.
    I have Central air (Carrier / installed at the same time of this furnace).
    I also have a very nice pleated air filter on this Carrier furnace, which I'm not sure is factory or an extra item, as I'm the 2nd. owner of this house and dont know what was stock and what was extra.
    So my question is - Repair or replace?
    f I replace - yes cost is an object - I would like to go with another Carrier - probably the Infinity 96 - pretty much like what I have now.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you all for your time - chillywilly28 in Michigan

Your furnace may be one of the units that has a recall for the secondary. Since you need a new inducer. I'd say replace instead of having both the inducer and secondary replaced.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

check your mail, just sent two score cards

don't know if new members can access pdf's

based on age, I'd give consideration to replace, but it would boil down to $$$$
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

58MVP is one of the models that have HX issues....take the credit and replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    58MVP is one of the models that have HX issues....take the credit and replace it.
    What ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Thank you all for the great advise.
    We will be replacing it :-)

There was no recall on the carrier heat exchangers but there was a settlement related to issues that resulted from poor drainage in the secondary chamber which allowed water to sit stagnant and rust parts on the chamber as well as allow mold and mildew growth in the cooling season. Many of these issues were the result of the unit not being installed level but the issue was so rampant in the north it was cheaper for Carrier to settle and make a concession towards a new furnace or heat chamber than go to court. If going with another 90+ furnace just make sure the unit is installed and leveled properly, high efficiency furnaces produce water vapor in the secondary heat chambers and they do need to be leveled properly in order for that moisture to drain out