Help me design a whole house fan which works.

I bought a home with a damaged ceiling in the center of the living room. I decided to use some spare parts I had to make a whole house fan instead of repairing the ceiling. I used a 18" round hart and cooley supply register, 2' of straight pipe, 25' X 18" insulated flex duct and a old squirrel cage furnace blower mounted in a steel enclosure. Now, this whole house fan works great and it's quiet. My attic is well ventilated. But I had to restrict the old squirrel cage blower since it isn't designed for the existing static pressure. Its also a pain to seal off when I'm using the A/C or furnace. Total cost on the system was $60 for the 18" flex.
    Can anyone recommend where I can find a blower which is designed for the static pressure of about 25' of 18" flex? A insulated damper on or after the blower would then be the icing on the cake.

Thanks

By restricting the air flow through your blower assembly, your blower will work. Get professional help. If you live in a typical green grass climate, caution about sucking in a lot of moisture for the sake of some cooling. You will end up a load of dust mites in the home and mold in the basement. More arrid climates have better results with your concept.
    Wet climates are better off with limited a/c and dehumidification for comfort and indoor qualtity. Especially for basement space which is naturally cool and very comfortable with adequate dehumidification.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thanks Teddy. Quite honestly. Every so called professional Iv invited into my home was a joke.
    Yes I know WHF's are borderline in my area and my A/C does get used more since it pulls only a few more amps than the dated WHF blower. But, on the few select days I want to run it to get fresh air in, I need a better damper at least. A energy efficient VFD blower designed for lower static pressure would also be nice.

I'm pretty handy. Iv got a sheet metal brake and Iv been thinking about building a damper which uses air pressure and gravity to open and close foam blades or blade.

do you have a gas/oil furnace or water heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Gross View Post
    do you have a gas/oil furnace or water heater?
    high efficiency gas furnace. And water heater. Both sealed combustion.