Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well put KLove, For myself I just deleted a post that was surely not a well put as yours. But I am so glad that someone has the cajones to come to these hallowed pages and describe the oil foaming so simply as a can of coke being opened. I feel so well informed now trying to clean up all the shaken cokes I just opened trying to observe the foaming.....Sheeeeeeeeze..
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

arrow...

klove and Richard are getting a little hard on you, don't let that bother you. some people will do what they can to get under your skin.

HOWEVER, there are many around here (the previously mentioned, especially) who are very hard working, damn smart and very willing to help. so, you need to asnwer them even if you don't know the answers...but at least say you don't know the answer.

there have been many posters who didn't know jack, but they answered the questions brought up and i can tell that they are learning.

the alternative is to tick off some of the smartest techs in the industry (which includes klove and Richard) and never get any help again.
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

Hello folks, new member, saw this thread and signed up. Having same problem, York YTH chiller, two machines in building only one has shut down on low oil press. R123 ref. using York oil c. Started machine next am after oil trip, sump temp on chiller pnl 135deg.f using infrared therm 140deg. f. Oil pressure at startUP 45/47 psi, unit runs about 4 min, vent valve opens, 5/10 seconds later both oil s/g full of foam, oil pump cavatates,oil pressure drops. Tried several times same results. other chiller running, chilled wtr temp 47 return, cond wtr 80s. Oil level at startup 2/3 full top glass. Tried manually energizing vent sol valve on 30 seconds off 30/45 seconds 4 or 5 times on startup, did not foam as bad, no pump cavatating. We valved off the purge system, no change. The oil return off the chiller barrel was left on but appeared ok. Oil temp oit of oil cooler to brgs110/115. Not on site now all info we could remember. Help greatly appreciated, will obtain more info if needed. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by choya56 View Post
    Hello folks, new member, saw this thread and signed up. Having same problem, York YTH chiller, two machines in building only one has shut down on low oil press. R123 ref. using York oil c. Started machine next am after oil trip, sump temp on chiller pnl 135deg.f using infrared therm 140deg. f. Oil pressure at startUP 45/47 psi, unit runs about 4 min, vent valve opens, 5/10 seconds later both oil s/g full of foam, oil pump cavatates,oil pressure drops. Tried several times same results. other chiller running, chilled wtr temp 47 return, cond wtr 80s. Oil level at startup 2/3 full top glass. Tried manually energizing vent sol valve on 30 seconds off 30/45 seconds 4 or 5 times on startup, did not foam as bad, no pump cavatating. We valved off the purge system, no change. The oil return off the chiller barrel was left on but appeared ok. Oil temp oit of oil cooler to brgs110/115. Not on site now all info we could remember. Help greatly appreciated, will obtain more info if needed. Thanks
    Reprogram for extended prelube time. Gives you more time to get refrigerant out of the oil before starting the compressor. I'm assuming that no one has changed the vent solenoid and installed the wrong one when I tell you to do this.

The vent solonoid appears to be the original, we have had the machine for just over a year and have not touched it. This is an issue that has just started this week and there have been no changes made to the machine. How do I extend the prelube time, I'm not seeing a jumper labeled and I do not have any York software. Has this solution solved this issue for you? I'm not doubting your expertise, just curious. Thank you for your reply, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by choya56 View Post
    .....we have had the machine for just over a year and have not touched it. This is an issue that has just started this week...
    Then you obviously have some sort of issue that is creating this problem. Something has changed, somewhere. Based solely on the information that you posted, and assuming that it's correct and that you don't have something screwy happening with the controls or sensors, you shouldn't have a problem getting the machine started. Since you've only had it one year, are you sure this isn't an on-going cold weather issue?

As far as reprograming, you don't say what control panel you have so that question can't be easily answered, but you'd need to get someone else to tell you how to do that in the open forum, anyway. I don't hand that type info out lightly. Get your pro status and broach this subject again in that forum. You might also think about what you didn't put in your profile that lets the rest of us know a little about who we're speaking with.

And yes, I have done what I said that you may need to do in order to overcome outside issues that affect operation.

......[/QUOTE]Oil pressure? Oil level? Oil temp sensor telling you the truth? How long between shutdown and restart? Oil temp to bearings? Anyone changed the vent solenoid? What's the timing on the vent solenoid? And so on and so forth......[/QUOTE]

arrow
    here are the questions they are looking for,, mr. arrow!
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mlkwal1 View Post
    here are the questions they are looking for,,
    There ya' go, M!

Did you ever come up with a resilution????? I had the same exact problem and i eliminated the oil cooler and changed the vent solenoid and delayed the opening for 5 min. problem solved

Hey klove, why can't you try to help the guy out without the cocky animosity, we're all in this together and being condesending doesn't help anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by a/c wizard View Post
    Hey klove, why can't you try to help the guy out without the cocky animosity, we're all in this together and being condesending doesn't help anybody.
    uh oh...you are new!

you will find out soon enough that, although MOST of us are in this together, not ALL of us are in this together. this site is a free advice site from the sharpest minds in the industry (and now with you here, maybe even sharper!) however, most people do not post anywhere near enough information or they post that the 'XYZ part is good'. around here, the poster should not ever post statements like those. they can not figure it out so they are not allowed (should not be allowed) to make qualified statements because they just might be wrong (SAY IT AINT SO JAY!). after asking for a while, you get tired and we all have bad days BUT the techs here are still showing up here for work (so to speak).

i do not know if you have been lurking around here a while or just found this site today. i would recommend that you ignore posts that you do not like and post the questions and answers directly to the OP. you just might need someone like klove someday and you sure don't want to tick him off before that!

welcome to the site and LOVE TO THE KLOVE!
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

Now were back to the site that I know and love so much God I love this forum
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by a/c wizard View Post
    I don't know which guy you're speaking of, so I'll try and explain:

If its the first guy (arrow4), you need to go back and read all of the posts to get a feel for the questions that were asked, and a feel for the questions that were never answered. You may then have a new perspective on why I said what I said.

If it's the second guy (choya56), then I have no earthly idea what you're talking about - I did try and get him pointed in the right direction. If you don't like the fact that I'm not willing to tell someone that I don't know from Adam's housecat how to reprogram the pre-lube cycle on a centrifugal chiller over an open internet forum, then you do it. (By the way - I haven't looked in your profile yet, so if you don't have anything about yourself in there and that's what this is all about, you might want to put something in it.)

If its the third guy (mlkwal1), I was simply trying to assist Milky with a question he had asked me about posting quotes, which really had nothing to do with oil foaming in anything at all. I saw nothing condescending in my reply to him.

If you'd like to discuss why I did what I did, I'll be most happy to oblige, but you're going to have to tell me what it was I said that triggered your unprovoked outburst.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast