Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We have Carrier Parker VVT controls in our building, not sure if they're Gen I or II, maybe someone could tell me how to find that out.

Anyways, they're about 20 years old, and only one of the "main" control panels is having issues. The time on it won't stay, it looses time every day or two, causing it to go into setback in the middle of the day.

None of the others in the building do this, is there some kind of battery in this system, or is my 24V transformer for this one thermostat going bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much, great forum, btw!

Is the website you have your company? I find it funny you don't have anyone in the office or on the crew who could not figure that out for you.

Just joking here.

I love your website.

Yeah, thats my company - our two service techs don't have a lot of expierence with the Carrier Parker controls, which I might add are terrible. Anyways, your website is pretty cool too!

I use to work on a lot of that stuff when I first cut my teeth in this work. I can't remember none of it. I would be better able to help with Gen3. There is aguy on here, the name is SYSINT. Good, solid controls guy. Very concrete kinda guy. He will be able to tell you exactly.

I feel sorry for anyone, including myself, that gets involved with these Carrier Zone systems of any generation. One of my inside secrets, which I am about to give out, in dealing with these systems is to stay in contact with my local Carrier Field Rep who has developed the best and only book on these systems that I am aware of from his years of experience and desire to quit having techs call him on problems. He would like techs to be able to figure out how to fix them without calling him although he is fully capable of assisting them.

This manual has been put together by him and is for sale to qualified companies at a cost of somewere between $60 to $80, I can't remember.

Try calling our local Carrier distrubutor here, Hadco/Airefco, at 800-682-9393 and ask about the Carrier/Parker controls book. The field rep who invented this book, and I hate to give out his name as he will now become the target of many phone calls from areas that he does not serve, also is looking for spare parts since he gives training on these systems. He is the best source on info that I have been able to find.

His book has helped me many times. The downside is once the customer finds out you can make these things work they will continue to call.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

IN my experience they were very reliable, but they are outdated now, time to make the big switch to something newer.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Dice is right. I stand corrected. I meant to say that when they worked, and I still have a bunch that are working in original form, they work great and are dependable. But when something goes whacky they can be rough fixin and getting parts especially for a reasonable price now.

Last one I fixed was a replacement of a zone control relay board and a zone damper along with a few small parts. Cost the customer around $4,000 including going over his other systems. Course the homes that have these in them $4,000 is not unreasonable to the home owners.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

there is still quite a few gen 1 and 2 systems out there in my area. I just ripped one out that died and slapped in a regular stat and opened all the dampers. Cheapskate customer.. Didn't want to go with new stuff for now.

If there is a rotory dial on the control board 1-9, A-F it is gen I, If there is no rotory dial it is either gen II,III. If you do have the dial, only gen I hardware will work with system config. Last I checked there were only a few boards to be had. Be sure to save all parts and pieces you remove from other zones to be used for replacement parts. Good luck, time is limited.

As of January first all of the gen. II parker controls are no longer avalible and nothing is backward compatible to them. This is according to our distributor in Kansas city Mo. We have had good luck with Watt-Master in retro fitting zoned systems.http://wattmaster.com/
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

Matt,
    Why not eliminate the setback programs? I just went thru this at our 911 center. This system has many components that are discontinued. I just reprogrammed everything and eliminated the setbacks. So far...so good. See if you can still get Carrier's catolog 809-211 & 809-217 as it covers this system.
    Doug

Doug is right.

I did the same thing in one of my buildings.

I'm hoping the new tax incentive will push the building owner to purchas a new control system.

Coolairman

I will remove, the setbacks, and see what that does for me! Good idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast