Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

I have a Weil-McClain Ultra 230 Condensing Boiler and a Gold/Plus 80 Indirect Hot Water Heater. The unit is less than a year old. My hot water is much too hot. I just measured the faucet temp at 165F. The details are:

-I have the thermostadt on the hot water heater turned to its lowest setting. The thermostadt was already replaced once about 3 months ago when it did not seem to control the hot water. The current one seems to be working. When I turned it up from the lowest setting it sent a call for DHW to the boiler.
    -The temp for space heating is set on the boiler is 180F (Setting 4).
    -The temp set for DHW on the boiler is 120F (Setting 1)
    -The temp on the DHW seems to fluctuate with what the boiler is doing for space heating. In the summer I was able to get the hot water out of the tap down to about 125F by lowering the DHW setting on the boiler to about 120F. Even the other day when the heat had been off for a while the hot water out of the tap was similarly at about 125F.
    Any help would be appreciated.

[Edited by liebermg on 01-16-2006 at 01:27 AM]

Originally posted by liebermg
    The unit is less than a year old.
    I would be getting the installing company on the phone.

sounds like a defective flo control or zone valve

wish i had seen the pictures before i posted

omg
    dont know what to say

[Edited by tinknocker service tech on 01-16-2006 at 03:13 PM]

A. its wrong at the boiler.

B. you should have a tempering valve installed on the indirect.

The indircts piping is on the inlet side of the heating circ, so every time the stat calls, its heating the indirect also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That tank should have a flow check, not a swing check

BTW some of the worst wiring I have ever seen
    How much is it an hour?

I agree with Nutshell, worst mess I have seen in a long time.

Replace check valve with a flow check

BJD

Question for Beenthere

Beenthere,
    What do you mean it is the wrong boiler?
    Also you said that "The indirects piping is on the inlet side of the heating circ, so every time the stat calls, its heating the indirect also." How should I tell them to hook it up?
    Thanks.
    liebermg@yahoo.com

I think he means piping the boiler incorrectly. You are pumping into the return of the boiler, and pumping into the supply of the indirect, so the heating zone pump can still pull water through the indirect over heating it. Never use a check valve, get a flow check. I can't even figure out what's going on with the piping on the right side of the boiler. Is that a 3rd circ pump over there?
    Duct tape and plastic baggie ties for the wiring. What kind of a hack job is that?

From the way its piped I think you should have them add a zone valve in the line to the tank because I believe the primary pump would be able to overcome a flow check as well and you would still have the problem. I know of the company that is on the sticker and they typically do a decent job call them and have them fix it right.

The return piping from the indirect needs to be corrected and the overheating problem will go away. Move the junction "T" AFTER the black circulator (below it). As it is now, anytime the heating circ (black) runs, it has enough force to open the swing check on the hot water maker and push heating system water thru it too.

I do agree on the rest of the job, it's not too pretty.

The other way that would work is if the two "T"s going to the indirect were piped off of the same pipe (within 12 pipe diameters)either above or below the black pump and then only the grey pump would control the flow of water to the indirect.

12 inches rather not pipe diameters. Casturbo the black pipe is on the return pumping down.

You are right the t should be below the black pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast