Thread: Trane XL14i vibrating

Post Likes

Trane XL14i vibrating

We installed my Trane 2 ton system about 6 years ago. To level and try and eliminate vibration, I placed 4 or five rubber feet under condensing unit. A few months ago, Brighthouse (tv) people showed up, moved my unit a little bit because of space restrictions, knocked my feet from under unit, and so the vibrations have begun. I've tried putting the feet back under but doesn't seem to shim correctly for any length of time. Now I have just removed feet entirely, thinking this is how it should be to start with. Also I originally shimmed because my concrete pad is a little tilted. Unit now sounds like a 2 stroke engine, not completely humming but almost like 2 quick sounds in one. I was thinking of strapping some angle iron or something on four corners of unit to try and stabalize some more. Any experience with this problem ?

Post Likes

Has anyone

looked to see if anything (fan blade, etc) is out of balance?
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes
    Most likely its piping vibrating against the base or a panel. Have a tech open it up and it should be easy to pinpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Ok, been working this issue for a while, obviously. I tried putting a little insulation rubber tape under cover connections going to fan motor, this didn't stop vibration. When I hold or even press top side of unit, vibration noise stops. Do I need to look at putting some insulation down around where piping comes into condenser?

Post Likes
    Yup, found some piping rubbing against panels, and flooring. So I insulated them and unit runs quieter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in