Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Confused New duel fuel Amana hvacs making family sick...at wits end.

We had 2 duel fuel two stage hvacs put in early last month. The upstairs unit was put in one day and the downstairs the next. They replaced gas furnaces. The morning after the downstairs unit was put in we came down and the smell was kind of like when you plug a ceramic heater in the first time, but it also left a taste in ur mouth like gasoline it was so strong. That smell went away but there is some kind of odorless vapor blowing out with the unit because all of us in the family are suffering from burning, itching bloodshot eyes (including the dog), red skin on faces, burning nose and throats and itching bodies. Humidity in the air makes it worse. I can stand over hot water running in sink and my face starts to burn because its activating whatever vapor is on my face. It is long lasting because because I have tried going days without running them and we still suffer. I crack the windows every day to dilute but it doesn't help much. The only new duct work was steel pipe painted with mastic and tape and wrapped in insulation from the unit to trunk line. Mastic painted in returns. I've had an industrial hygienist come and run tests but not coming up with anything. Anybody run across this situation ever or have any ideas? At wits end and sick over all money spent and now we are miserably sick.

Shut unit down and call the installer out now!

CO Poisoning?

Are you having head aches, nausea, dizziness, flu-like symptoms? If so, it could be carbon monoxide poisoning. Have it checked immediately and turn it off!

If its' not any of the above symptoms, then you should notify the installer and have them correct it.

Why was mastic "painted in the returns"?
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

He knows all about it. I've had him out and he says the unit looks to be working fine. My carbon dioxide alarm isn't going off so he thinks its just us. He is a good old boy but says he doesn't know what else to do. I don't know what else to do either. I feel like this site is my last hope.

I am having headaches as well. Mastic was put in returns as a sealant so that air from walls or the attic wouldn't be sucked in with the room air back to unit. Is this not normally done? Carbon monoxide alarm not going off.

Get a second contractor out there. Let us know.

I will do that first thing Monday morning. Stupid me, should have done that already but he made it sound like it can't be the units they work just like what I had before except with the heat pump added in, not just a furnace.

You need to inquire about a low level carbon monoxide alarm, not one of those you get at the box stores.

Something is not right, and it needs to be checked out by another set of eyes.

I just researched it and am now frightened. I turned off the units, neither has been running today because i had them set so low, but am worried about the pilot light. How do I turn that off so no gas is burning?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensitive gal View Post
    I just researched it and am now frightened. I turned off the units, neither has been running today because i had them set so low, but am worried about the pilot light. How do I turn that off so no gas is burning?
    There shouldn't be any pilot lights on those furnaces.

Don't be frightened. Be aware and informed. You are moving in the right direction with this.

New furnaces don't have a pilot light that burns all the time, they light each time the furnace comes on.

Ok. Thank you very much for calming me down. I'm going to the store tomorrow and getting some electric heaters and low level co2 meter. Tomorrow morning can't come fast enough now.

I just got to thinking.... Our PVC pipe that sends the exhaust from the furnace outside is placed not far away from our fireplace and I could just smell the smoke from my husbands cigarette as he smoked it outside on the back porch coming through the vents of the fireplace into the living room. This pipe is new because our old furnace was connected to the hot water heater exhaust flue. I bet that is it!! I will keep you guys posted....thank you! my 6 and 9 year old little girls will thank you too since they are suffering immensely too....as well as my dog. All of the expensive VOC tests I had ran and none of them had carbon dioxide on the panel. Ugh.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast