Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should Furnace Need Reset after Power Outage?

I had a Lennox furnace model G61MPV installed a couple years ago. I've noticed that after the last couple of power outages, it won't start unless I cycle the circuit breaker off and on once. I'm concerned that if I'm away during the winter and there is a brief power outage, I'll have frozen pipes when I return.

Is this normal or should I make a claim while it is still under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

it maybe your thermostat, try turning the stat on and off (or way down, and all the way up)

This should start right back up
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    it maybe your thermostat, try turning the stat on and off (or way down, and all the way up)

This should start right back up
    Thanks, I didn't think of the thermostat. Now that you mention it, the display light has been flickering.

Does your t-stat have an internal battery backup? If it does have you checked the batteries? I can't think of any reason why your Lennox furnace would have to have the breaker reset. Afterall, when the power goes out and comes back on it's the same as resetting a breaker.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    Does your t-stat have an internal battery backup? If it does have you checked the batteries? I can't think of any reason why your Lennox furnace would have to have the breaker reset. Afterall, when the power goes out and comes back on it's the same as resetting a breaker.
    Yes it has two AA batteries. It has a battery level display and it still shows more than 1/2 charge. I'll put in new batteries and see if that helps.

I have same problem - sometimes won't come on - a power outage is not even necessary. Example: After the heating season; I have thermostat control to off then when its hot out I have switched thermostat switch to "cool" and set thermostat; furnace blower won't come on but I can hear outside unit running. Al I have to do is cycle power switch on furnace and then it works.

Last week it did the same thing during heating; this seemed random w/ no power outage. Came home and said hmmmm feels cool in here. Furnace had not been running although thermostat was set to call for heat. AGain cycled power and frnace came on right away. I changed batteries in tstat when this first started happening about 2 years ago. It didn't help then.
    Sounds to me like the control board must be locked up. Lennox g61

Happened again last night - no power outage. Furnace should have come this morning - tstat called for heat. Cold in house - checked furnace. No light on at all in little clear window on front of furnace. Cycled furnace AC power switch - red light flashing in window. Could hear furnace firing up then red light on solid.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyj View Post
    Happened again last night - no power outage. Furnace should have come this morning - tstat called for heat. Cold in house - checked furnace. No light on at all in little clear window on front of furnace. Cycled furnace AC power switch - red light flashing in window. Could hear furnace firing up then red light on solid.
    I have seen bad boards cause this in the past, don't know if this is your issue, but only one way to find out.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

where the hell do you live that the power goes out so much? sheeesh

I would agree, the only thing left that would cause this the board!!!

It's odd that a power outage would stop the furnace, yet a self-induced power outage restores it?
    BEING AN ADULT

I live in Manitoba Canada. Regarding the power we have had severe winds over the last 2 weeks and guess that causes the lines to sway and break maybe? I've had to rest clocks like 5 times in the last 2 weeks. Ironic as Manitoba has huge hydro generating stations and lots of power that we export. I guess it probably is a circuit board.

Also since there is some knowledgeable folks here - the G61 is a two stage and when it was installed they said I would save a lot compared to my old furnace but I don't see anything like that. It is a 2 stage furnace - in checking the manual there seems to be a lot of dip switches. How do I know unit is operating in 2 stage mode - are there different sounds that would indicate that it is operating in 2 stage mode?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyj View Post
    I live in Manitoba Canada. Regarding the power we have had severe winds over the last 2 weeks and guess that causes the lines to sway and break maybe? I've had to rest clocks like 5 times in the last 2 weeks. Ironic as Manitoba has huge hydro generating stations and lots of power that we export. I guess it probably is a circuit board.

Also since there is some knowledgeable folks here - the G61 is a two stage and when it was installed they said I would save a lot compared to my old furnace but I don't see anything like that. It is a 2 stage furnace - in checking the manual there seems to be a lot of dip switches. How do I know unit is operating in 2 stage mode - are there different sounds that would indicate that it is operating in 2 stage mode?
    your kidding? This furnace is saving you a fortune......it ain't running most of the time (sorry I couldn't help it )

to answer your other question, the 2 stage refers to the Gas valve. On low fire it should be fairly quite. Depending on how your thermostat is set up, when it jumps to hi-fire you might notice a increase in the vent motor noise and the burners should sound louder. Then the blower motor should also increase in speed. Go sit in front of your furnace and have your wife/girl friend/SO turn on the furnace, it should ramp up to high fire for a second or two and then drop into low fire. It should stay in low fire for either a predetermined time (like 12-15 minutes) and then jump to high fire or if your wife/Girl friend/SO increases the thermostat enough it should jump to hi-fire sooner. Now, some thermostats are single stage stats, but you can still use them on a two stage system. it all depends on the stat and how it's been set up.

Of course the easiest way to tell if it's working correctly is to get a tech in there and have them go over the entire unit.
    BEING AN ADULT

Your furnace needs a new circuit board, we install lennox furnaces in Saskatchewan and the first versions of those boards had trouble with the blower relay whenever there is a power outage and they need to be reset. Get it while your board is still under warranty, the part will be at least anyways not sure about the labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Widley4 View Post
    Your furnace needs a new circuit board, we install lennox furnaces in Saskatchewan and the first versions of those boards had trouble with the blower relay whenever there is a power outage and they need to be reset. Get it while your board is still under warranty, the part will be at least anyways not sure about the labor.
    This is a great tip. Is there any documentation from Lennox that you know of that I can show my service tech (like a technical service bulletin)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast