Maybe it is the moon, but I have found three copeland condenser sleds with the service valve leaking at the suction acumulator in the last three weeks. One was about five years old, the other was around 8 to 10 years old and the one tonight was put in 14 months ago.These are all medium temp cooler systems and all leaking from the same valve port. None of them had the armaflex pulled over the steel valve and they all were showing a bunch of rusting/corrosion on the entire valve.
    Wondering if there is some type of design problem. If they were all the same age, would think there was a bad batch of valves, but there is a good 9 years between them.

I'm not familiar wit the term "sleds", but I assume you are referring to a condensing unit. The "King" valve is the one at the outlet of the receiver, not the inlet of the accumulator......that's just called the suction service valve.

That out of the way, is this a steel Rotalock valve on an F3AD series unit? What's leaking, the valve packing, the Rotalock seal, the caps? The only ones I've run across with these is either where the installers brazed the piping in without removing the teflon seal ring or where the original cheapo aluminum seal caps had cracked.

i came across something myself last week whcih was similar .. i was curious why there was so much leak lock on all the threads .. i needed power to crack that puppy open ..does anyone else use a strng joint compound on threads ? in school i was taught to loosen that lil nut before i seat the valve or it can cause leaks over time if opened repeadetly withouth doing so ... what do u think icemeister ? is that true ... i replace all aluminum caps & the brass ones to caps with rubber inside ..

Originally posted by icemeister
    I'm not familiar wit the term "sleds", but I assume you are referring to a condensing unit. that's just called the suction service valve.

That out of the way, is this a steel Rotalock valve on an F3AD series unit? What's leaking, the valve packing, the Rotalock seal, the caps? The only ones I've run across with these is either where the installers brazed the piping in without removing the teflon seal ring or where the original cheapo aluminum seal caps had cracked.
    Sled is what we always called the condensing unit. Slang I guess.
    It is a rotalock valve, but it is just leaking out of the service valve port, not the stem or at the rotolock onto to the accumulator. The front port, closest to the suction line, as these have all had two service ports.

what happens is there is a nylon seat in them. Guys will crank on those things with a lot of force. When you crank on them, they get mushed, so the next time you back seat or front seat, they don't seat very well.

Oh, I am dumb for not reading that too well. It is designed to have that port open when fully back seated. Thats the design dude. That port is designated for the pressure control. The reason they make those is when they didn't guys would back seat the valve to close off the port to the pressure control. If you front seat that valve, no port is open.