Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    what are your methods for asking for a pay increase.
    only want the ones that actually work.

if you can get him when your on a install or big repair between the customer and the equipment factor being present it the easiest.just hit him out a nowhere with it,don't wait for him to praise you about the job cause you lose your angle....with "well then how about a raise" he'll look at you and say sure?don't do it in a group,at lunch...only one on one.if you say "i need to talk to you about something" he will know what it is...just walk into his office sit down and tell him you need more money $1...$1.50 more an hour.leave it with anything you can do to increase it will be appreciated...end it with a "hand shake" no matter what is said.wait a week and if you see something on the hourly change make a big effort to go back in and thank him.don't say anything to your SM,dispatcher,or fellow techs in the way of *****in,crying let it ride.another dollar would be $2080.00 more a year to your gross...are you worth it to that company.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

How long have you worked for your current employer? Are you self motivated? or do you have to be told what and how to do something? Or is it just a stingy ass boss?

If you have to ask for a raise and you are doing your job it is time to find a new job.

Originally posted by fixerup
    If you have to ask for a raise and you are doing your job it is time to find a new job.
    yea this is great advise quit your job because you are not adult to have a conversation with another adult

unless your in the union and on a contract schedule for raises no owner is going to just give you more money.they would sooner have you work for that $19.02 HR for the rest of you life.then when you "test the water" and hand in a 2-weeks notice their flippin out and throw you $2 more an hour to stay.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I never said quit. I said find a new job.Then quit.

Wink

If You and your boss are on a new installion, just wait until he goes to the out house ;porta potty" and back your pick-up to the door. Do not let him out until he nevermind. You said you didnot want any "tried and true" experience.

Find a nother job paying better. Give your notice. If the boss offers to match the other offer and you like him, stay.When I worked for non union contractors years ago , I found they needed a nudge to get the ball rolling.The other thing is you must make sure you can earn it.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Originally posted by tim fox
    Find a nother job paying better. Give your notice. If the boss offers to match the other offer and you like him, stay.When I worked for non union contractors years ago , I found they needed a nudge to get the ball rolling.The other thing is you must make sure you can earn it.
    If you come to me saying that you found another job and you want me to match that offer, I would gladly help you unload your truck.

Talk to the boss first!

Just sit down with your boss and ask him. If you don't spend time in the office, do it over coffee if need be. Just tell him you need to talk so lets grab a coffee. My hubby does it all the time at work when he needs to talk to his boss, sometimes I think it's more to throw the boss off. lol
    But keep in mind his first response may be how much do you want as a raise so figure that out. Figure out what is the lowest you'll accept or will you be willing to work for what you are now and a realistic top dollar. Keep in mind that if your boss is out in the field all day or up to his neck in the office (even us designers have pulling out hair days!), raises are the last thing on his mind that day. I'm sure most bosses have good intentions of doing reviews and giving raises to those that deserve them but those day-to-day things - like that 9 am upset customer that destroys the morning, extra calls that have to get done because someone called in sick or didn't show - get in the way and we forget. We are human too, well most of us anyway.

If you came in giving your notice and asking me to match it to keep you, I'd help you unload your truck too. Talk to your boss, find out where you stand with them. And if they say no raise and you don't like the reason they give, then start looking around for another job.

Make a file of all the times throughout the year when you make the company money. Saving money and making money are not different. When you ask for a raise do it in a submissive way, explain how you view your work, explain how you have made the company money, ask them to consider what you want, do not demand it. If you have to threaten to walk to get a raise, you have bigger problems then $. It has worked for me, it took me a long time to learn how to do it!
    Still learning opinions welcome.

If you come to me saying that you found another job and you want me to match that offer, I would gladly help you unload your truck.

Talk to the boss first!
    ........................................Point being, I found a better paying job. So who cares. If you have a problem with a guy wanting to strive for better, who needs you.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast