Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tech

Yes, I am a tech. Sorry if I violated site rules, please excuse my ignorance.
    I found his reply via a bot search filled out the appropriate forms to gain access here, but must have overlooked a rule. Will leave presently.

move it to the SWUD section...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

Quote Originally Posted by unclemikey509 View Post
    Yes, I am a tech. Sorry if I violated site rules, please excuse my ignorance.
    I found his reply via a bot search filled out the appropriate forms to gain access here, but must have overlooked a rule. Will leave presently.
    No need for you to leave. I'd actually encourage you to stay, learn the rules (I'm still learning stuff about this site) and become a Professional Member where we can share more detailed information about the equipment we work on.

Since you are both techs, this thread will be moved to the appropriate section "tech-to-tech chat Commercial"

Ok Thanks. The current problem I'm having has the techs in Georgia stumped, so you can imagine my dilemma. Mike.

Mike..how many unit do you have with the VFD add on after the IGVs went nuclear...nuke cleee r.now thinking about it 97 isn't bad on the motor.future applications a motor change might be in order using a motor that has seen a constant 60Hz then all of a sudden the Hz are being slid in and that voltage when it is ramping up/down can do a job on the insulation...anybody meg the motors on those jobs especially to ground maybe a heat up might cause a CE trip...Ray

Hey Maxster, I haven't megged the motor, but did do a passive resistance check prior and it was well over 20 meg on all three (actually six) windings. This is one of seven and the only one I've converted. It initially ran fine for two hours and still will sometimes. The VFD is one I've installed at least twenty of (six on different Trane units BTW) and to date have had no problems. BTW if the VFD sees anything wrong with the motor it will shut down immediately. This motor was swapped out in 2006 and is listed for vfd use. Not once has the vfd tripped. My problem is definitely in the unit somewhere. I caught your note on the ribbon cables and will inspect them closely tomorrow AM. BTW Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it. Mike.

thats cool on the ribbons Macon bends them as they stack the panels and have some leak a sinal causing other trips...make sure all philips head screws are tight the board on a return grounding to the power feeds to them,check all the pins rebot what you can the only fix here is if it doesn't trip any more...so time will tell.maybe flip a 1U1 module from another to see if you take the CE tripping with it...you caught that CT post about just the one on the VFD inverted wire out to the motor check the resistance on it compared to the others (check the white tag on it for number range match up.....good luck maybe get back midweek to see what results you had

Hey Maxster, Just a note to thank you for the excellent advice. Finally got back to that job, I carefully inspected the ribbon cables and indeed they were worn through!
    But guess what else I discovered when placing some cardboard between the cable and
    chassis? When I flexed the cable I could actually see that the top two solder connections on the cable were cold joints and would make and break!! Pulled both boards, resoldered them and ran it for three hours, no problems now. Had to shut it back down 'cause I want to make certain it throttles back properly when it hits setpoints. Thanks again. Later, Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12