Thread: comparing filter options

Post Likes

comparing filter options

Hello,
    Under duress of a failing 25 yo heater we are replacing our whole system. The proposal is to use:
    * One 59MN7A080-14 Carrier Infinity Modulating 4---Way Multipoise Condensing Gas Furnace Series 100
    * One 25HNB636A003 Carrier Infinity 3 Ton Heat Pump 16 Series (2-stage)
    * One CNPVP3717ATA CARRIER, PAINTED CASED UPFLOW/ DOWNFLOW, "N" SUPER COIL
    * One SYSTXCCUID01-V CARRIER, INFINITY THERMOSTAT CONTROLLER WITH GREENSPEED CAPABILITY
    * One 16 x 25 x 4 Aprilaire Filter Media
    * One M1-TW50S6FBN Bradford White 50 gallon Residential Power Vent Water Heater .63 EFF
    * One VCMA15ULS LITTLE GIANT CONDENSATE PUMP W/ EMERGENCY SHUT OFF SWITCH AND 3/8" CLEAR
    VINYL TUBING
    * One TUV-APCO-S-I-P-2 APCO UV AIR PURIFIER, 2 YEARS LAMP AND LIFETIME ON PARTS

We live in NJ in a 2 story house built in 1963 and have occasional water in the basement and some mold growth to which I am allergic. We know that we need to deal with the basic issue of water in the basement by installing drainage outside, but I am underemployed (does anyone need a Coach to help with ADHD issues? -just kidding! ) so money is short and it is not top priority now.

**I am wondering if the combo of the 4" Aprilaire media filter and APCO UV air purifier is the way to go or not. I want to compare it to installing the Infinity Air Purifier instead, but don't see a way to do that comparison. Does the UV light alter or remove the mold enough that it will not recirculate and bother me even if it is dead?

From what our guy said, the maintenance cost is about equal. With mold and dust allergies, and animal dander to boot, which way would you go, or do you have another option that you feel would be superior?

Thanks for the help!
    Suzanne

Post Likes
    I should note that i've spent hours pouring over threads here trying to figure out without asking what others have already answered, but just got more confused.

Post Likes
    The uv light will take care of growth on the coil but will not do much else. Ther is not enough contact time or available light for the volume of air. I would stick with the 4" media.

Post Likes
    The Aprilaire media filters do a good job. I have one in my home.

The equipment and ductwork MUST be properly sized for it or you will not move the correct amount of air for the system to provide you with the comfort that you are paying for. Inadequate airflow can also lead to higher energy bills and shorter equipment lifespan.

Only a qualified professional can evaluate these things for you.

Check out out Contractor Locator map in my signature line if you want a second (or third) opinion on anything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    The uv light will take care of growth on the coil but will not do much else. Ther is not enough contact time or available light for the volume of air. I would stick with the 4" media.
    So you think the 4" media is adequate and the Infinity Air Purifier is not needed to get at the mold issue?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Only a qualified professional can evaluate these things for you.

Check out out Contractor Locator map in my signature line if you want a second (or third) opinion on anything.
    We've had three quotes, but the salesmen seem to be talking apples and oranges. No one has spoken about changing size of ductwork. Where would this be relevant? Intake or output, in the walls? Educate me, please.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slinke1 View Post
    We've had three quotes, but the salesmen seem to be talking apples and oranges. No one has spoken about changing size of ductwork. Where would this be relevant? Intake or output, in the walls? Educate me, please.
    Since I cannot see your system from here, I cannot say if it is relevant or not.

Here is the short, sweet and simple.

To filter out more stuff, the filter has to be more restrictive to airflow. Restricted airflow in an HVAC system is NOT a good thing. It leads to stuff breaking.

If the system is designed for the more restrictive filter, then it will flow the correct amount of air. If not, stuff can break prematurely.

Did the salesmen do any testing of the current system? Did the do a manual J heat load calculation on your home to determine proper equipment size?

Or did they just say "well, your current system is this size, so it'll be fine."

Post Likes
    My concern would be mold spore retention in the media filter. An electronic type air cleaner would probably be a better choice. Since the mold issue is seated in the basement area, properly sealed ductwork in this area would be what I would concentrate on. Mold spores being airborne and drawn into the return side of the system and distributed through out the structure would obviously raise havoc with any type of respiratory disorder.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in