Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    im an employer finding it impossible to find a good, dependable tech who is multi skilled in serv / installation / refrigeration res and comm. is there such an animal out there? what do i need to do???

Join the short on Technicians club> Have you read the post (Technicians salary)? How many Techs do you have now? Have you tried HVAC Agent/ http://www.hvacagent.com

[Edited by oneacman on 01-13-2006 at 08:02 AM]

Originally posted by self employed 1
    im an employer finding it impossible to find a good, dependable tech who is multi skilled in serv / installation / refrigeration res and comm. is there such an animal out there? what do i need to do???
    You are asking for two or three technicians. I can see refer/comm and comm/resi, but all three. Rare breed indeed. Good luck on that hire. He'll be a $40 per hour man. That's 107K in wages with an average 8 hours o/t per week. Can you afford that?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Originally posted by jrbenny
    Originally posted by self employed 1
    You are asking for two or three technicians. I can see refer/comm and comm/resi, but all three. Rare breed indeed. Good luck on that hire. He'll be a $40 per hour man. That's 107K in wages with an average 8 hours o/t per week. Can you afford that?
    So jr you are saying
    Someone who can cross over from Res/Com A/C to Com Refrigeration ( Walkins,ice mach. and what not)not to mention commercial cooking equipment,pool heaters, dry cleaning machines, basically a mechanic who can fix what he wants- You say thats a rare breed?

he also said 40 dollars an hour ,hmmm maybe i should ask for a raise, just kidding jeffer.

the problem is that all the so called "good techs" are happy where they are or they run a hvac business themselves.

One raise coming up now.
    I registered @ HVAC agent this mernin also. Maybe we"ll get some talent.

If that breed of tech ain't making $40 per, he's with the wrong company. He'd be one heck of a tech IF he could really do all those things well.

That's a lot of abilities for one individual. I'm not saying that tech doesn't exist, but every shop doesn't have one.

And you are correct...that tech likely isn't looking to change jobs or he already runs his own shop.

[Edited by jrbenny on 01-13-2006 at 02:49 PM]

Hey jr
    Theres 5 in this shop.Thats every day business for us.Thats how we stay busy by working on what the customer needs fixed. If its a new type of equipment get the manual. Your the Tech-figure it out.But its not such a different world. All the same electromechanical refrigeration theory applies.

[Edited by oneacman on 01-13-2006 at 04:25 PM]

Originally posted by oneacman
    Hey jr
    Theres 5 in this shop.Thats every day business for us.Thats how we stay busy by working on what the customer needs fixed. If its a new type of equipment get the manual. Your the Tech-figure it out.But its not such a different world. All the same electromechanical refrigeration theory applies.

Amen to that,its not that uncommon for me to work on a blast freezer then jump on a gas furnace, maybe a few beer coolers inbetween then finish off the day working on a commercial microwave.If you want ot stay busy all year long you have to be diversfy.Just look at other BIG companies a/c and electrical, a/c and plumbing,a/c and refrigeration.We just take it to the next step and offer our customers more.

self employed1- Do you run a union shop? (just Y or N, not looking to start a discussion on the matter)
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Originally posted by smurphy
    Originally posted by oneacman
    Hey jr

Amen to that,its not that uncommon for me to work on a blast freezer then jump on a gas furnace, maybe a few beer coolers inbetween then finish off the day working on a commercial microwave.If you want ot stay busy all year long you have to be diversfy.Just look at other BIG companies a/c and electrical, a/c and plumbing,a/c and refrigeration.We just take it to the next step and offer our customers more.
    Guess you need a raise.

Guess you need a raise. [/B][/QUOTE]
    it wouldn't hurt to get a raise(hint, hint)I get paid well for what i do, and i'm probably one of the highest paid techs in this area.For me its not about the money sure i probably can go down the street and make a dollar more, but what would that do for me.Nothing.I will have to listen to 3 chiefs instead of one.I would have to gain the other companies customers trust which will take alittle time, which would lead into lost sells.and so on.For me its respect,the boss man respects my work, my opinion.The customers respect me, and my work which leads in to more sells.I much rather stay where i'm at and try to improve the company than run away for a dollar more.

And yes i have ran away for a dollar more a couple of years ago to a company that did just a/c.What i listed above happened to.They promised me this and that and never came though.The owner and service manager were scared of me because i sold so many systems and i had customers calling just wanting me to do their service.The service manager was probably scared the most and he started to give me crap jobs and changing out 7 ton compressors on rtu'/s by myself.Finally, i quit and came begging for my job back because i had RESPECT.It's really no big deal, i learn a valuable lesson and besides it was their lost not mine.This just goes to show that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast