Thread: New furnace install questions

Post Likes

New furnace install questions

Hi,

I am about to replace my old furnace and it seems that I will go with a G61MPV-36B-071. The offer includes a Honeywell 6000 and 10 yr Parts/5 yr Labor warranty. The contractor told me that the fan will have to run all the time on a lower setting.

I live in Vancouver Canada, mild climate and my house is ~2200 sq ft, 2 stories, finished basement. Basement is usually cooler.

My questions:
    1. Is the G61MPV + Honeywell 6000 thermostat the right combination? Is this thermostat compatible wtih 2 stage furnace?
    2. Is the G61MPV-36B-071 (66000 BTU) enough for my house? Another contractor suggested American Standard Freedom 95 Premium Input 90000BTU Output 72000 BTU. This one didn't provide the full model of the furnace and there is a big size difference comparing with the other one. What do you think would be the proper size? None of the contractors did an advanced load calculation.
    3. Is it normal to run the fan continuously, as the contractor recommended?
    4. Does Lennox warranty require an annual tune-up to keep the warranty valid? I searched their website and did not find this requirement.

Thanks

Post Likes
    If you also have central A/C, i would want a better thermostat. An IAQ stat, that can slow the blower.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you also have central A/C, i would want a better thermostat. An IAQ stat, that can slow the blower.
    In Canada? I wouldn't spring for that. Doubt humidity control is much of an issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bhahvac View Post
    In Canada? I wouldn't spring for that. Doubt humidity control is much of an issue.
    I don't know what his humidity is like during the milder parts of the cooling season, if he needs A/C. I think HRVs/ERVs are common in his area.

Post Likes
    annual maintenance is a requirement on all manufacturers to keep your warranty valid....same as a car...dont get the oil changed in a new car and it voids your warranty

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No, I don't have a central A/C

Post Likes
    any 2 stage thermostat will work fine with that furnace.

don't know why they would want you to run the fan constantly??

Lennox requires that the system be properly maintained but in over 30 years as a Lennox dealer they have never required proof of annual service.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    any 2 stage thermostat will work fine with that furnace.

don't know why they would want you to run the fan constantly??

Lennox requires that the system be properly maintained but in over 30 years as a Lennox dealer they have never required proof of annual service.
    I just spoke with my contractor and he said the same thing about the warranty. He said there is not much to service to this new units ...

Clarified why I need to run the fan constantly: this is what is recommended for a better air circulation.

The company is for over 35 years in business (BBB A+), so hopefully they will do a good job.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    what type of air filter is he putting in? with fan running all the time i would strongly recommend a merv 10 media filter to protect that nice expensive furnace.

Post Likes
    doesn't specify what type, just 1" filter & frame, I will have to check

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lcuc View Post
    A MERV 10 is typically going to be a 4" filter cabinet like a Honeywell F100 or Lennox HC10
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lcuc View Post
    if there is room for it find out about upgrading to the HC-10 filter cabinet, your furnace will thank you.

Post Likes
    I will try, thank you for the info.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in