Confused Trane XV90 Calls for 24"X25"X1" Filter? Where do I buy? or should I replace bracket?

New Trane (2007) XV90 (TUY120R9V5W) Vertical position in basement, easy access.
    Please help! I only have a 12" base can & therefore do not have room for an electric air filter under furnace. The base can has two openings for return air (Both of them are 8x24)
    1st Question: What is a Good Quality filter that I can purchase that comes stock in 24"X25"X1" size?
    (I still have the cheap black plastic washable filter that came with furnace new) I have only found 24x25 as a "custom" size which makes them expensive!
    2nd Question:
    Should/Can I replace the flimsy stock filter bracket to install a 2" or 3" filter? Is this advisable? If so, who makes this bracket? where can I buy?
    I read somewhere once that trane makes a 4" filter that fits inside Furnace housing? Did I read that right? I read it "tapers in" on the top 3" of filter? so that you can use the stock 1" bracket?
    Sounds expensive for a disposable.. probably too expensive, but I MIGHT consider it during some remodeling that is going on for 6-18 months, to protect the furnace.

As I mentioned earlier, I only have a 12" high base can under the furnace.
    (because of a 36" high Trane AC Coil box installed on top of furnace, with pair of drop cheek pants on top of that leading to the supply duct which runs "under" the floor joists Not "in between" them.
    So I do not have room for a standard electric Filter system
    so that leads me too..
    3rd question; do they have a custom size Electric filter? that would fit "inside" furnace housing itself? If so what brand? Where do I buy?

Thanks for help! and please if you could.. please offer advice on all 3 questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You can put the new (larger) filter next to the furnace by moving the drop to the right.

You'll need a lot of filter for that big of a furnace. I hope that you have more return than I can see in the picture.

Sorry, left.........not right.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    You can put the new (larger) filter next to the furnace by moving the drop to the (left).
    Drop?
    You mean return air 8x24 rec duct drops?
    The furnace is vented under the furnace through the base can. There are "two" return air vents from the side of the base can. (See picture of back of furnace) One on rear (8x24)for basement grill, & one (8x24) on left side of furnace going up to main floor & 3rd floor. I can not move this one going up because of a future hallway planned there.
    But you bring up an idea... I am doing construction down in the basement for the next 12-18 months, & the basement will probably be the dustiest place in the house in the future, maybe I could consider adding one electric air filter for the basement fresh air side? This would be in addition to a 1" filter that would be inside the furnace?

You'll need a lot of filter for that big of a furnace.
    Why does the Trane manual for this furnace call for a 1" filter?
    Is the manual & manufacturer wrong for requiring this? What size are you recommending? Brand?
    I hope that you have more return than I can see in the picture.
    There are "two" return ducts in picture? One for the basement and one going up that is shared by a grill on main floor and continuing up to a grill on 3rd floor.
    knowing this, would you still say that is not sufficient?

OK, getting side tracked a bit here from the original questions... could we go back to my original questions.. could you answer any of those 3?
    Thank you for your answers so far..

Any & all opinions appreciated.. anyone else?

Okay, now I understand. I didn't look that closely and I thought the duct on the back was a (future) supply off the plenum.

Now that I know where the returns are and assuming the grilles on the main floor and 2nd floor are large enough then you should be okay on return.

You'll need to order some pleated 24"x25"x1". A 2" thick filter (which would be better) may be able to be incorporated if room allows.

We have a company in town that makes custom filters. I'm sure what you want could be ordered online.

Good luck.

You can put the new (larger) filter next to the furnace by moving the drop to the right.

You'll need a lot of filter for that big of a furnace. I hope that you have more return than I can see in the picture.
    George2,

Sounds like you know your stuff.

You should apply for Professional Membership and the AOP (*) before posting in the AOP forums.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    George2,

Sounds like you know your stuff.

You should apply for Professional Membership and the AOP (*) before posting in the AOP forums.
    Thank you very much. I should know something after 35 years.

My passion in this business is in ductwork design, regardless if it's a new or existing home. I'm sad to say that I see less and less attention given to the importance of airflow and the possible ill effects it can have on the efficiency and comfort of a system.

Thank you very much. I should know something after 35 years.

My passion in this business is in ductwork design, regardless if it's a new or existing home. I'm sad to say that I see less and less attention given to the importance of airflow and the possible ill effects it can have on the efficiency and comfort of a system.
    In my experience, tenure in the trade isn't always a measure of quality.

Your advice is good, but please, follow the AOP Forum rules.

Someone help me?

Thank you