Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by momoformula70 View Post
    This is interesting.
    Just for the record where is your house located?
    On slab or crawlspace foundation?
    How is it insulated?
    Was everything caulked to seal it up from base-plate to between all studs?
    How big is your house?
    Conditioned or unconditioned attic?
    Backdraft dampers on all exhaust fans? Including range hood? And what kind of damper do you use!? one that is better than what comes with most fans or just the stock backdraft dampers?! (On this note I found out yesterday that my range hood vent does not have any back draft damper installed at all. It is a 6" metal duct vented to the outside.) So when I run my bathroom fans the 6" duct is acting like a passive inlet for air. I will get a back draft damper installed for sure!!

In the summer down here in Mobile AL the smell in my attic and house is stronger. Which seems to indicate that the foam is off-gassing more in a humid hot climate or it is like you said, that the house is getting more 'natural uncontrolled ventilation on colder dryer days'.

This is starting to drive me nuts! I don't want to live in a house with unhealthy indoor air quality because of off gassing from foam insulation or other building materials.. I wonder were one can get proper testing of the air done without it costing an arm and a leg!?
    This is a 35 yr. old 2,200 sqft. house located in Madison WI.
    Has 1" of rigid foam on the outside under cider siding. 2"X4" with fiberglass/vapor barrier/drywall. The attic is vented with 12" blown celluous. The home is air tight with estimated .2 ACH at average winter conditions (17^F, 7.5 mph wind). The house has a full basement with part finished.
    Your nose a good sensor for some pollutants. Better than most gadgets that are available for home testing. Outgasing of pollutants decline with time. Most foams are safe with adequate ventilation rates. Most homes with normal indoor materials with an air change in 4-5 hours have low levels of pollutants. Try to stay objective.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

interesting read on classification of indoor and out door air quality in europe.
    See chart of classification of indoor Co2 levels..

http://www.camfilfarr.se/Global/Docu...lity_EN-GB.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12