Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, I can see your position as far as putting the two dead presidents into having a dead horse cut from the herd as is were. The real world truth is there is no real compensation for the tech (and his company) other than the upfront money for reclaiming the refrigerant (which costs me to dispose of) and leaving you the carcass. If you were going to install a new system and he was getting the job, there would probably be no charge for this service at all, at least there wouldn't be if I were in that type of situation. You already know your alternative to this and I applaud your desire to do this in the proper and legal manner.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

So to clarify.

All you want:
    Tech come to house that is less than 5 miles from his office.
    Hook up and remove charge (he has to pay to dispose).
    Cap off lineset in case you reuse (involves time and trouble of brazing).
    Leave condenser right where it sits.

And if I inderstand he wants two Bennies.

Settle for one Bennie and cap the line yourself.

Hey, I just had two guys quote 3.5 Bennies to haul off one pickup load of brush. They did claim the would have to pay a dumping fee of 1/3 that amount.

It sounds like we are discussing pricing here.....

Yep, definately discussing pricing...

I dont know about where you are, but a service charge would cover 30-50% of the cost you mentioned. That is just the cost to drive the van into your driveway. So, by my math you are getting a fair deal here. At my company service charge + 1-2 hours of labor + brazing supplies and materials would total.......

Oh wait, I can't discuss pricing.....

Well, lets just say more than you said.

Ask if they will credit the cost to a new unit when the time comes, and keep on rollin...
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

I'm not sure where the cost of brazing is coming from, do you guys always cap linesets that aren't going to be reused? I just don't want to be the guy that just releases the freon into the atmosphere when I move the large paper weight out of the way.
    I'm not trying to discuss price, I just wanted to know how if their was a hidden difficulty in recovering freon that would justify their wanting to charge me over 3x what they charged for a travel and diagnostic visit. If you guys tell me that it takes 2 hrs +travel to evacuate a 30' lineset, I'll probably call him back.
    BTW I asked the company to also give an estimate on replacing the ac system, they never called back. I am getting the impression that they just aren't interested in my money.
    Adam

If the compressor was not DOA, this would be a simple procedure and you would be able to keep your disconnected unit AND your refrigerant. I guess that I am looking at my cost. Driving 5 miles or 20 has no real impact on cost. Overhead does. Everything costs money for a business. You seem like a reasonable and smart guy so all I will say is no matter what I do during a given day, I have to pay my business expenses no matter what. How I or anyone in business divides these expenses between customers is not all that easy to arrive at. Take the cost of the truck (including fuel, insurance, upkeeps and depreciation), the equipment (reclaim machines are pricey so are all the tools on the truck), expenses associated with the actual place of business (mortgage, rent, insurance, utilities, office help), the employee (you know) and then incidentals say like keeping my certificates and licenses up to date and in force (that alone last year cost just me 2K). Then you divide this by however you want be it by the hour, day, month or job and then apply it along with the actual expenses for that one job which would be material and actual labor along with misc. stuff like disposal fees. After all this, the company would like to make something, profit as it were. I don't think the implied cost was all that much out of line.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I just called another company, this one non Union, and they want twice as much as the first guy. I may just pay my Father in Law to come out here from Mn to do it, he still has his tools and EPA card. The price is the same and he can spend more time with his new Grandaughters.

Adam

It is tough trying to do the right thing. Especially since there are techs that have been venting to the atmosphere for years or the venting from leaking coils. I myself had a unit that went thru 6 lbs of R22 in two years.

If it had been the condensor coil that had failed there would be nothing to recover and you could move it yourself as you have said the unit and the lineset are never to be used again, so a tubing cutter and zip you're done.

If you don't care about the lineset there should be no problem moving it around when pouring the patio. Just be careful not to break the lineset connection.

I also applaud you for trying to do the right thing.
    When a unit is replaced, refrigerant recovery is usually part of the cost of the new system.
    Some companies may itemize it & others may not but either way there is a cost besides time. Since you only want recovery done & not a replacement there should be more than just an hourly fee charged. Besides recovery equipment wear & tear & maintenance we also have to pay to get rid of the refrigerant now.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Different companies have different prices. You can choose who you want to do the work it is up to you. Choose who you think will provide the best service for you price should not be the eliminating factor best value should be.
    "Here in Carolina We Get-R-Done"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12