Thread: A question

A question

Recently I did a routine pm on some modular chillers. Each one has a 40 hp recip compressor, the standard low and high pressure safeties, and no oil safety control. This seemed odd given the cost of a compressor replacement. Looking at the IOM it lists the control as an option. This job is only about 5 years old. The question I have is this, do I sell the customer the upgrade or do I put my blinders on like the other technicans before me and not mention it? Your thoughts.

If it was your company that installed it I would tell them in a way as to not throw yourselves under the bus, assuming you don't have a great relationship with the customer. But if it wasn't you all I would definitely just try to sell them the upgrade. I personally wouldn't run one without it.

I'm astonished. What brand chiller?

Let's see...the cost of a 40HP compressor vs the cost of an oil failure switch. While I'm not a proponent of techs selling equipment owners needless items to pad the bottom line, but this is a no brainer as a worthwhile upgrade.

Present the case to the equipment owner. A relatively inexpensive device will prevent the costly failure of his compressors, should they ever experience a low oil pressure circumstance.

Carrier is the brand of the chiller. If this was a condenserless brine chiller it shows the oil safety control as standard equipment. The model I am working on shows it as a field supplied option. When it was brought up to the customer he agreed the units needed the additional controls.