+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing the math yourself?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    DMGs are not the enemy.
    Did you read my original post? Where I mentioned I was not against DMGs and they are not "the enemy" <---- maybe not in so many words but it was definitely inferred.

Please go back to what I wrote about the fellow student I studied next to in school. Was it fair for him to blurt out the answers just because his DMG's told him the answer? In the field they save time, yes, and I am all for that. What I am not for is their use in tech schools, they should be banned. We all need to learn on analog gauges from the beginning, and how to calculate SC/SH in the real world. If the student uses DMG's from the beginning, how will he ever know the way to calculate the readings off an analog? Short answer.......he won't. And until they can make a DMG that will never fail, never lose battery charge, never break under any circumstances and all analog gauges can be thrown out DMG's should only be in the field, and only used by those who have graduated school or passed an internship with a company and can prove they know how to calculate readings off an analog.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    Did you read my original post? Where I mentioned I was not against DMGs and they are not "the enemy" <---- maybe not in so many words but it was definitely inferred.

Please go back to what I wrote about the fellow student I studied next to in school. Was it fair for him to blurt out the answers just because his DMG's told him the answer? In the field they save time, yes, and I am all for that. What I am not for is their use in tech schools, they should be banned. We all need to learn on analog gauges from the beginning, and how to calculate SC/SH in the real world. If the student uses DMG's from the beginning, how will he ever know the way to calculate the readings off an analog? Short answer.......he won't. And until they can make a DMG that will never fail, never lose battery charge, never break under any circumstances and all analog gauges can be thrown out DMG's should only be in the field, and only used by those who have graduated school or passed an internship with a company and can prove they know how to calculate readings off an analog.
    I read your first post, and replied directly to it. I began with this,"This is mostly for those in the thread who think that the DMG is somehow taking something away from the art of being a tech."

Meaning "not you". HTH.

As for learning with analog. Well, new techs should be taught on both, because they'll be using both. FWIW, I believe it would be easier to teach the subjects of SH and SC with a DMG simply because all of the information is right there on the same display. Most can be switched to line temp or will simultaneously read line temp directly. So the instructor just points to the SL temp (T1) on the display and says "This is the temperature of the suction line and it is being picked up by that blue temperature clamp right there on the suction line. This is your SST right here, and as you can see the difference between these two numbers gives you the SH, which is this number right here that says "SH" next to it." IMO that would be a great improvement over the way I was taught years ago.

Post Likes
    I agree with learning the meaning and importance SH and SC + learning how to calculate it manually before upgrading to digitals.

EPA 608 certified: Universal

Post Likes
    I read your first post, and replied directly to it. I began with this,"This is mostly for those in the thread who think that the DMG is somehow taking something away from the art of being a tech."

Meaning "not you". HTH.
    I guess that's a compliment? Not sure, it's been a long weekend and I'm seeing double yes I know........I could walk 25 feet and get in bed so why I am complaining.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a civilized argument (if there is such a thing) just was more of less venting pent up frustration I have against guys I see out here who don't respect the "art" of understanding the correct SH/SC. I know it's not physics or rocket science by any means. Maybe I just still have too much "new tech" blood in me and want others to be as interested in the theory and application of refrigerant as I am.

Post Likes
    I guess that's a compliment? Not sure, it's been a long weekend and I'm seeing double yes I know........I could walk 25 feet and get in bed so why I am complaining.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a civilized argument (if there is such a thing) just was more of less venting pent up frustration I have against guys I see out here who don't respect the "art" of understanding the correct SH/SC. I know it's not physics or rocket science by any means. Maybe I just still have too much "new tech" blood in me and want others to be as interested in the theory and application of refrigerant as I am.
    Unfortunately, some of them are every bit as interested in learning as you, but are less capable. Some will never understand SH regardless of how many different ways you try to explain it. The industry doesn't need to slow down for those individuals, it isn't imperative that they do hvac for a living. They can always apply at McDonalds for the drive-thru position.

Post Likes
    Those who can think will do so regardless of what tools they're using. DMGs are not the enemy.
    No they aren't. But they can be the hindrance for some.

Post Likes
    I know it's not physics or rocket science by any means.
    Well...

Actually...

It is physics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in