Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Have you checked condensate drain??

Quote Originally Posted by legoman View Post
    It does! But no older kids just yet. We've got a couple of kids <10 and a couple of cats, but that's it. Previous owners (5 years ago) had a large dog (golden retriever?) and no kids.

Mind racing with ideas....Should I be checking the return air covers?

Thanks!
    Rich
    Hmm... There goes that idea lol...Strange...

Is there a lot of pine trees near your home?

Quote Originally Posted by Gross View Post
    Hmm... There goes that idea lol...Strange...

Is there a lot of pine trees near your home?
    Near is subjective, but I don't think so. We have three young 8'-10' at least 30' from the garage side of our house. Neighbors have maybe 10 of those a few plots away.

Our house is one house plus a street width away from a small farm land of about 8 city blocks in a 4x2 pattern (usually just corn). There's a few acres of 40'+ pines (wind break next to a farm) on the other side, about 3-4 blocks away.

What were your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Rich

my thoughts were you either have teenages masking a scent with some chemical, or you are actually smelling ozone from pine trees...both seem to be bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by wraujr View Post
    Have you checked condensate drain??
    I sometimes hear it drip into the floor drain when the air is on. When I put in the UV over the a-coil a few years ago, I remember noting that the drain was not at the lowest point of the drip pan. I'm no engineer, but that would seem to indicate a design flaw.

I'll leave the investigation of that up to the pro -- who ever that may be. And hopefully that plastic isn't too brittle from the high UV exposure...

Thanks and sorry for the delay in replying!

Rich

My Vents smell like bad cheese!

I just had a new Trane X15? heatpump/air handler installed last march. I also had them install an Aprilaire #2210 Whole House Filter. They also replaced all the duct under the house (crawlspace) where the new unit is. I've got a 2-story townhouse 1275 sqft. -- 3 separate registers going upstairs have origional ducts.

I started the heat a couple of weeks ago, when it got cold at night. The system did not come on again for a couple of days -(the temps outside were perfect), however when the A/C did come back on, a horrible odor was coming out of the vents. After I educated myself by reading ALOT on this terrific website I was certain that it was what one of the Professional Members called "Dirty Sock Syndrome".

Trane is sending my contractors a solution to apply to the coils -that is (apparently) going to 'sit' on the e-coil for 72 hours with system off. Then I have to turn the system on, and let it off-gas the chemicals on the contaminated coil. I'm told I have to leave the premises while the house airs out.

My questions are, (and I hope this helps the origional poster), wasn't my Aprilaire MERV 10? supposed to protect my coil (for at least the first 7 months?) The contractor told me I might have to replace my filter in a couple of months (every 9 months) He took a look at the coil and didn't 'see' anything 'growing' --but he said the smell was definately coming from the coil.

So, when these chemicals are off-gasing, should I be using a new filter for this step, or wait until afterword? I'm concerned that either the filter is defective, or the cabinet itself was/is not properly sealed. The contractor said I probably have leaking ducts---but shouldn't the filter (which is installed right before the coil) catch any contaminants that the 'leaky' ducts might pull into this area?

I apologize for the length of my post. Just trying to anticipate the additional info that you may need to help answer. At $XX per filter I would have hoped for better operation, my concern is re-contamination DURING the coil cleaning process. Getting rid of that smell early in this process, seems to be of some importance for preventing a 5-year-long ordeal of cleaning, UV lights, more UV lights, higher MERV filters, replacing with identical coil, another cleaning with a 'New' coil cleaning solution, etc... like those who posted to this website with the same problem. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-16-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: No pricing in posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    G-Wiz,

You might get better results with a new thread.
    got any ideas on this one?
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12