Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    where is a moderator when you need one? LOL
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Yes, the Sun heats up the top couple of feet but this is all lost in the winter. and then some. That is why the Earth is cooling. Below this point it is all heat from within the Earth. That is why frogs bury themselves to get through the summer in the desert, because the heat from the Sun and air can only penetrate a certain amount.

This is the same reason rammed earth works. It has a very low R value but very high mass, so heat has a hard time penetrating, it gains heat in the walls in summer but loses heat from them in winter. The thicker the walls the less influence the inside temperature has from the outside temperature. If you had walls thick enough (like in a cave) the only influence in temperature would be from internal sources since the earth loses more heat than it gains. So solar energy would never get deep enough in the summer to effect it.

I have read and always excepted that the earth absorbs and retains about 47% of the radiant heat it receives from the sun. Since the sun does not shut off, we are replenished daily with this renewable source of heat energy. I do not know exactly how much heat 47% of the suns radiant heat amounts to, but I do know that the total solar energy emitted on the earths surface is estimated to be 6000 times the amount of energy we consume worldwide per year.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    I have read and always excepted that the earth absorbs and retains about 47% of the radiant heat it receives from the sun. Since the sun does not shut off, we are replenished daily with this renewable source of heat energy. I do not know exactly how much heat 47% of the suns radiant heat amounts to, but I do know that the total solar energy emitted on the earths surface is estimated to be 6000 times the amount of energy we consume worldwide per year.
    Yes, it absorbs it and releases it, that is why the Earth is cooling. If it had any net gain from solar radiation, it would be warming.

And this is not to be confused with global warming which is average air temperature. Overall the Earth itself is cooling, just very slowly. If the net gain of heat in the ground from the Sun was positive, the Earth itself would be warming but it is not.

Solar radiation only penetrates a certain depth, in the winter this heat is released which is why the ground freezes. Only the very upper layer is affected by the sun, it gains energy, then releases it. In the case of permafrost 100% of the solar radiation is removed by the cool air, that is why it remains frozen year round. (may not be 100% in the summer because the ice may be like 25 degrees and it may heat to like 28 degrees but then in the winter the air removes all of the gained heat and cools it back down to 25)

This is similar to what happens to the ground. In the summer, it gains heat, then in the winter it loses heat, so much that the ground freezes, then it gains heat again in the summer, melting the frost line and heating again. Below this depth the ground is unaffected, that is why it is a constant temperature. And it is also why the geothermal loops are buried below the point at which the ground heats during the summer and cools during the winter. If it wasn't, the loop would be warm during the Summer and cold during the Winter which is exactly what you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Yo, gijit! Does it not even occur to you that you are the one who is misinformed? When everyone else says you are wrong, don't you think it would be a good idea to check out what the others are saying?
    Science is not a Democracy.

And just to clarify, I am not saying the Earth does not get solar radiation in the winter. It gets less solar radiation, and it loses more than it absorbs (because of lower air temperature) which is why the ground freezes.

To put it technically the angle of insolation (sunlight) changes which spreads the solar radiation over a larger area. Also, the air temperature goes down which causes the heat from insolation as well as additional heat already in the ground to be transferred to the cold air.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678