Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Want to Remove My Condenser

I called the company that diagnosed my compressor as bad this summer to have them come out and evacuate the system so I could move the condenser and pour a new patio. I was surprised to hear the estimate(phone) to be over three times the cost of diagnosing the a/c system in the first place. As a Tradesman I was expecting that this would be one of those things that is purposefully kept inexpensive to encourage people to do the right thing.
    Should I call around, does this service vary a lot in cost, or just wait to see if I can afford a new a/c next summer?

AdamT

To many variables in your post to guess. Are you moving it to a new location? Can they disconnect, and then reconnect on the same trip? Can they save and re-use the freon? If they are making two trips, do you expect them to come back for free? Do you want the cheapest job, not necessarily the best job so the unit will fail quickly? When we get a call like this, we assume two trips along with evacuation, silver solder, some lineset, purging, and a new freon filter to protect the AC unit. I'm sure some would do far less than this for much less money and leave you with whatever happens. Usually the homeowner wants the unit left unhooked until they finish their work, and then we return (for a fee) and finish the re-connection. It might actually be cheaper to move the location, and that way it can be done all at once!! I'm assuming from your post that this unit has been operating and you've just recently replaced the compressor? Might be important that this is done properly!

It sounds like the unit doesn't work. Have them remove and cart away the old unit. This should entail recovering the refrigerant, cutting the pies, and disconnecting the electric. About an hr labor. Have them seal the pipes and make sure the electric is left safe. They may be willing to credit the fee towards new instal in the spring, I would.

i agree with brijess, not much to it and i also would apply most of that billing to the replacement unit. thats only good bussiness. definately shop!

ok so you want them to do 3x the work for the same amount of money....
    think about it, he came out and Dx a bad compressor (approx 1hr of labor only). Removing a condenser and reconnecting after a slab is poured.

1: Pump system down
    2: unsweat lines (welding kit involved here, nitrogen involved)
    3: removing electrical
    4: Sealing lines (depending on how long till they can reconnect, also evacuating and filling with nitrogen, so Weld kit involved, vacuum pump involved, line taps involved, nitrogen involved)
    5:Moving unit

all that just to remove the unit on the first trip...now for second trip

1: move unit to slab
    2: unseal lines and resweat to condenser (weld kit involved, nitrogen involved)
    3: vacuum system down to remove air (vacuum pump and nitrogen involved)
    4: hook up electrical
    5: re-insulate copper lines (insulation and tape involved)
    6: anchor unit (at least here, required per insurance)
    7: open lines up and make sure charge is correct

That's the 2nd trip...so a Dx of a compressor ~1hr of just the mechanic and tools, the moving of the condenser 2 separate trips and probably ~4hrs total in labor plus alot of material usage.

The unit is 10-12 years old, I wouldn't reuse the lineset , it has a blown compressor, it's oversized, the soldering was done incorrectly and it's directly under the main circuit panel for the house.
    I called the same tech that diagnosed the blown compressor in hopes that he would remember enough about the site to give an accurate estimate without making an extra trip.I wasn't expecting him to ask to see Benjamin Franklin, twice.
    We've lived here for 5 years and last summer was only the second time we used the a/c. We might not replace it at all. If we did replace it, I would want it in another location.

I just realized that this is the wrong forum.

Mods, could you please move this to the ask the pros forum?

Adam

If you are a "tradesman" which I interpret to mean you're in this trade, then why aren't you doing this yourself?

Different trade.

The way I take this:

Is you want the tech to remove the old unit, and trash it. This is because you want the unit in another location, and it's bad anyways. You want it out of the way now, because you want to pour a patio.

When it comes time to get the new air conditioner, you are willing to accept a different charge/installation cost, ontop of what you've already paid.

Is this correct?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Pretty much except that I may not replace it at all and if I do I can get up to $1,500 rebate from Excel for "trade in". Right now the only function the condenser is serving is as an obstacle. I don't want him to take it away, I just want the refrigerant recovered so that I can move it out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by adamt View Post
    I just realized that this is the wrong forum.

Mods, could you please move this to the ask the pros forum?

Adam
    Done, Carry on

Purposefully kept inexpensive to encourage people to do the right thing? Never heard that one before. Why do we care what you do with your house, car or whatever you own? We all have to make a living. Doing the right thing so you can save a few $$$ doesn't pay my mortgage, feed my family or put gas in my car.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast