Suggestion: HVAC system @ East coast

Hello - my neighbor contacted me after he saw too many HVAC personnel visiting my house. He's 85 and I want to help him (not at all savvy with computers). His house details are same as mine.
    It's a 1964 2 storied townhouse with basement. Current HVAC is in basement, duct-work available. His furnace is oil-based and currently he has window ACs.

He's wanting to replace the entire setup with a modern HVAC system, heat and cold, with heat from gas only. There are no options (Condo doesn't allow) for geo, or any systems in attic. His budgets are limited. Total square feet is 1500, including basement. Basement walls are partly insulated. He got offers from Lennox, Sears, York, etc., etc. Any thoughts or leads would be helpful to help him identify the system? He's looking at make/model and ease of operations and low on maintenance and energy costs.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepole View Post
    He got offers from Lennox, Sears, York, etc., etc. Any thoughts or leads would be helpful to help him identify the system?
    Please post some details of the proposals without prices. You can then get some feedback on the merits and benefits of one system vs another.

As you are aware, the system needs to match the duct capacity and be properly sized to meet the needs of the structure. If the proposals don't specify some sizing compliance or methodology, the topic/solution could be a moving target.

Lennox X16+G61, York: TM9X+YCJF

Anything?
    It's XC16

wisepole

What is your location?

Oil furnace is located in basement?

Any covenant restrictions on 95% eff condensing furnaces where combustion air and waste gas will need to be vented outside usually through an exterior wall?

What size furnace and AC did you install?

There is nat gas line access available in basement?

Ductwork should be inspected by quoting dealers as to size/design, leaks,
    insulation qualities, adequate return.

I would never recommend purchasing HVAC through a big box store like Sears. Perhaps you can help your neighbor with dealer recommendations.

IMO
    good luck!

Basement is where oil-furnace is currently located.
    Has duct work but for oil-furnace and heat only
    Possibility of access to exterior walls for exhaust
    All marks against the oil furnace + literature lost, furnace currently: not working and completely dead for life.