Thread: New top feed tank problems

Post Likes

New top feed tank problems

Hello Everybody,
    This is my first post and I am going to jump right into it!
    I am hoping that somebody can help me. I recently replaced my outdoor furnace oil tank. I installed a fiberglass 909 liter tank. It was installed with a 1/2" single copperline. It is a top feed installation. The tank is situated on a cement stand approximately 5 feet above ground. The furnace is located in the basement of the house. Ever since the installation I have had to bleed the furnace line at least once a day because the furnace keeps quiting.
    Can anybody help me understand what i need to do?I shouldnt have to bleed it everyday!
    Thanks In advance.

Post Likes
    Hey,
    I should add some more details I suppose, it is a single line system(no return line) and the furnace is actually a new yorker boiler that provides base board heating and hot domestic water, it is a reillo(spelled correctly?) burner.
    If more info on the system is needed let me know.

Post Likes
    Need to have the installing contractor come back out and recheck everything for you. It sounds as though there is a leak somewhere causing the system yo lose its prime.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Riellos can on occasion have problems with losing prime, I've seen it with overhead lines, if there is no loose connection on the oil line you might have to have a tiger loop installed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mlstark View Post
    Riellos can on occasion have problems with losing prime, I've seen it with overhead lines, if there is no loose connection on the oil line you might have to have a tiger loop installed.
    putting a check valve in the line closer to the furnace will do the same thing.

is it a top feed or bottom feed tank? id have trouble believing a downward graded oil line would lose prime even with a leak.

Have your contractor do a vacuum test on the lines, itll tell him all he needs to know.

if he doesnt know how, get a new contractor

Post Likes
    I agree find the leak, I would add a Tiger loop also

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I agree find the leak, I would add a Tiger loop also

Post Likes
    I also prefer the gar-ber oil filter as they seam to seal better

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I also prefer the gar-ber oil filter as they seam to seal better
    And they actually filter. Tiger loops mask problems, not solve them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gross View Post
    putting a check valve in the line closer to the furnace will do the same thing.

is it a top feed or bottom feed tank? id have trouble believing a downward graded oil line would lose prime even with a leak.

Have your contractor do a vacuum test on the lines, itll tell him all he needs to know.

if he doesnt know how, get a new contractor
    A check valve and a Tiger Loop perform two entirely different functions. The very tiniest of air leaks (air can leak where oil will not due to density differences) can confound the most determined technician. You can drive yourself crazy hunting for the ghost or simply install a Tiger Loop and put the whole issue to rest. Our company learned many years ago that whenever we install a suction application, we automatically install a Tiger Loop. I've spent many dark, cold nights at home with the wife when I otherwise could have been chasing air leaks, thanks to the Tiger Loop.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    A check valve and a Tiger Loop perform two entirely different functions. The very tiniest of air leaks (air can leak where oil will not due to density differences) can confound the most determined technician. You can drive yourself crazy hunting for the ghost or simply install a Tiger Loop and put the whole issue to rest. Our company learned many years ago that whenever we install a suction application, we automatically install a Tiger Loop. I've spent many dark, cold nights at home with the wife when I otherwise could have been chasing air leaks, thanks to the Tiger Loop.
    See below

Post Likes
    First of all thanks everyone for the replies,

Calling the contractor back to recheck it is not an option. I called him allready, he said since the insurance agent signed off on the installation and the furnace was functioning properly when he left his job is complete. He has washed his hands of the job.
    It is a top feed out of the tank total vertical distance from the top of the tank to the burner is approximately 9 feet. Total length of installed copper line is 37 feet.
    I spoke briefly to a burner tech today who is coming out this week to inspect the installation, he mentioned that on a reillo burner, if the oil filter is dirty or sludged up it could cause my problem. Is it possible that after mucking about with the oil( old oil was transfered into the new tank) that some sludge was stirred up and now the filter is the culprit?

Any comments are appreciated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    You're 100% correct Skipped, several occasions I've run into Riellos with overhead lines, we add a tiger loop and never get a call back.

Post Likes
    filter can be a cause of burner not firing properly, but not usually able to restart after a prime.

post back after his visit if he comes up with nothing.

gross, we can take that discussion to the proforum if need be

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    There is a reason your not allowed to transfer old oil

Also, reillo pumps are only good up to -3"wc

A new filter may get it working now, a two stage pump will fix the problem if u have no leaks. Vacuum test :/

Post Likes
    Sorry you mentioned that a reillo burner is only good for -3" WC?
    I'm so confused, the only difference in the new system is that it is a top feed. The old tank was in the exact same spot as the new and the new oil line is run exactly where the old one was, and the furnace hasn't moved, I am waiting anxiously to see what the burner tech thinks.
    Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boeingfixer View Post
    I'm so confused, the only difference in the new system is that it is a top feed. The old tank was in the exact same spot as the new and the new oil line is run exactly where the old one was, and the furnace hasn't moved, I am waiting anxiously to see what the burner tech thinks.
    Thanks.
    That is a more in-depth answer to why overhead lines on riello burners with over head lines can lose prime, as others have said. I think having a professional take a look is your best option.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boeingfixer View Post
    Thanks.
    he got a little too technical, he's refering to the strength of that pump being able to pull the oil to the burner.

Post Likes
    There really is no substitute for proper diagnostics. First and foremost the system has to be throughly checked for vacuum leaks. All inline components have to be checked and eliminated, one by one. Single line supplies can be problematic and require absolute perfection. Tiger Loops serve many purposes and have never caused me ANY problems only solved them. I service close to 500 fuel units a year.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in