Thread: restaurant hvac

restaurant hvac

I am sizing hvac equip for a 1 story restaurant sports bar
    the owners anticipate 200 people sometimes

The latent load is high due to max occupants and ventilation.
    i want to keep things in percpective.
    The kitchen is located in a separate room with exhaust and mua for hood
    MUA is approx 70% exhaust
    There are some existing package gas heat elec cooling units on roof
    I have enough room on roof for a 10 ton roof unit. i was thinking of using two 5 ton splits instead.
    My load calc is about 1 ton/ 125 sf +/-
    If i try to satisfy all latent laod overall load is about 1 ton / 95 sf.
    that seems rediculous

Owner or contractor?

Keep things in perspective????

Now, I don't want to discount the tremendous resource this site is, nor do I want to offend anybody, but....

Does it not seem a little odd that an experienced/licensed contractor would need to seek advice out here for the proper method of doing a load calc so he can quote the necessary equipment for a potential customer?

The numbers look odd because the owner is looking to overload the room. 10 tons x 125sf/ton is 1250 sqr feet (is this the correct square footage?). Expected occupant density per the IMC ventilation code is 100 people per 1000 sqr feet thats only 125 people. Overloading could could skew rule of thumb numbers.

Restaurant load

My question is how to deal w/ ac for spaces with high latent loads.
    such as a in restaurant or gym
    should equiment be selected to meet the entire latent load or is there some diversity that can be applied.
    The sensible load is easily satisified with a/c equipment. To meet the latent load the sensible capacity of equip gets oversized.

if a restaurant has 200 people they don't all eat at same time
    they need ventilation for 200.

Quote Originally Posted by norske View Post
    My question is how to deal w/ ac for spaces with high latent loads.
    such as a in restaurant or gym
    should equiment be selected to meet the entire latent load or is there some diversity that can be applied.
    The sensible load is easily satisified with a/c equipment. To meet the latent load the sensible capacity of equip gets oversized.

if a restaurant has 200 people they don't all eat at same time
    they need ventilation for 200.
    What are you considering as diversity? The latent btu difference between a person at rest and a person eating? The latent load of OA is going to be the largest contributer. You could use a CO2 detector to vary incoming OA, but you will still need to design the equipment to handle full load.

Consider Energy Recovery. If you have exhaust air available, you could use a total energy wheel and pass latent to the outgoing airstream, if you do not have excess air for exhaust, consider a wrap around heat pipe to pre-cool incoming air to drive more humidity out of the airstream and reheat the leaving air.