Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've recently graduated my R-HVAC school and I had an interview w/ an HVAC company and they seem like they want me, and told me to call back tuesday, but I think they will hire me because my uncle knows the guy. I also had an interview w/ a controls company, and they called me back for a second interview and I had a 3 and a half hr. interview the first time. The control job is better pay from the start and also a freat oppurtunity, because they usually dont hire unless you have 4 yrs. exp. but they need extra hands because they are very busy, but they want to hire a person who is willing to learn all the time, which is me so basically I want to know which job I should take???
    I feel like if I take the control job then my schooling was almost obsolite, I know people who do controls had previous experience w/ hvac first. So someone please give me advice, all advice will help???

Take the controls job because with a comprehensive understanding of controls you are much more versatile.Welcome to the trade. Did you have many people at trade school with you?

Talking

Thanks for the welcome, yes there was about 14 students???why would I be much more versatile if i know controls, say in like a few years and I want to switch back to the hvac field, like troubleshooting and servicing, woul I start out at the bottom again or would I get payed better due to my previous controls experience??

Well the HVACR field is made up of controlling electrical apparatus and once you really understand that you can trouble shoot just about anything. You will continue to learn HVACR while learning controls. Your controls are what start and stop and sequence everything. May be you think you won't get to hook up gauges anymore?

I dont know much about the control field, Do I still fix equipment and will I learn to be a good jvac technician and not just a good controls technician?, would i still be using gauges and stuff like that?????

Well there are allot of variables. It depends on what company and what contract obligations the company offers. I suppose you could get stuck pulling control wires and terminating connection points. You should ask your potential employer these type questions and follow your interest in the field. You can make money in allot of aspects of the field so just be well read in proficient in each category. You will figure out where the money is in your neck of the woods.

Good Luck!!

Three years at either position,
    which would look better on resume' ?

agree, controls co. could open more doors in future.

go with the controls and check out what your controlling...air handlers w/chilled water,VAVs,staging chillers,rooftops etc.make an effort to grab a manual or two on the new start-ups just to look over,you might get so deep into control work you might cringe at the thought of changing a compressor or condenser fan motor in the rain.it all depends on how much that company does if they do the whole install there is your in to the service and start-up side...you might even do both. or all of them install,commish/start-up,sign-off
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Originally posted by asilva
    I've recently graduated my R-HVAC school and I had an interview w/ an HVAC company and they seem like they want me, and told me to call back tuesday, but I think they will hire me because my uncle knows the guy. I also had an interview w/ a controls company, and they called me back for a second interview and I had a 3 and a half hr. interview the first time. The control job is better pay from the start and also a freat oppurtunity, because they usually dont hire unless you have 4 yrs. exp. but they need extra hands because they are very busy, but they want to hire a person who is willing to learn all the time, which is me so basically I want to know which job I should take???
    I feel like if I take the control job then my schooling was almost obsolite, I know people who do controls had previous experience w/ hvac first. So someone please give me advice, all advice will help???
    If your just out of school and have been offered a chance to be controls technician,TAKE it. You can come into service and maintenance anytime.Controls have to do with alot of things that will help you in the future..Even if you have to take less money take the controls job...
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Take the control job. When you turn fifty you will know why.

Yep. a no-brainer. 80+ percent of Hvac failure is controls. You master this and you can write your own ticket. JMO Good luck to you.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

It always seems to come down to the mighty buck. I did 4 years of schooling and my first job at an HVAC service company was driving the truck and empting the trash. Started on the small stuff and worked up to big stuff. what I really found out was from working on built up systems with out DDC but pleanty of controls. It made me really think about what had to happen to make things work. Since then I have moved on to various companys tuning my service skills. Now that I'm older and a littel wiser I beleive that a good service tech with well rounded experice will make a better control guy than some one with basic HVAC knowledg. I'm in a position now that I trouble shoot the controls guy work and make it realy happen. What looks good on the computer might not look good at the compressor. Don't get me wrong there are pleanty of great control guys out there. What I really think and it's only what I think look for a well round company get your feet wet. Try diffrent companies gain some knowledg so when you do make or take that step into controls you'll have what it takes. Money will come in time and if your good it will come faster and if your not it will go just as fast.

But then again this is just what I think. Which ever choice you make I wish you the best.

im starting this monday for my new career in the ddr controls industry, wish me luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast