33 inch York /Luxaire flame rod R & R suggestions

Wondering if any one wants to share their method and tools of choice for getting the flame sensors in and out of these York 33 inch furnaces.
    For such a common part thats needs attention most often , it is now a real pain to get out and back in .

The Lennox G61 series is another tough one. Unless your a smurf! Best tool I have for these is patience. Takes less time to remove some parts to make room, than trying to force it and break something.

Quote Originally Posted by CELSIUS View Post
    The Lennox G61 series is another tough one. Unless your a smurf! Best tool I have for these is patience. Takes less time to remove some parts to make room, than trying to force it and break something.
    You are right. I don't know much about the York or Lennox, but the Carrier 90's are ridiculous if the gas and intake come in from the left. I'll remove the gas line and cut the PVC, and be done faster than if I had tried to work around them.

The one part that needs service the most is the hardest to get to!

I bought this PVC cutter that cuts 2", it gets in tight spots, doesn't need a cord, and leaves no shavings or burr.
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rhino-00.../dp/B000XTP0A8
    Jason

WOW! I was going to buy a new deburring tool, but that looks like a much better investment.

i have a 3/8 wire brush with a long shinny wire handle witch i bent on a 90 so i can just slide it in a clean the senser and ignitor if spark
    if i have to pull it then grin an bear it

We install the 33" Luxaire, and I have found that my mini socket is the best way to handle the flame rod.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

I also use the mini socket set with a phillips head attached to get the screw out, thats the easy part of the ordeal. Its the getting the screw back in while trying to hold the rod in place thats the hard part. I am thinking of trying to make the rod somehow friction fit tighter so it does not just fall out while attempting the screw re instal.
    The 33 inch mids are not too bad , a little more room .
    But the high e models are a different story.
    I can not believe they could design a furnace this way. A way to common part failure is just miserable to clean or replace. Was a 2 min job with the previous model.
    Having to pull the ventor to get at the rod is just stupid.
    Then again having to pull and replace all these cracked plastic
    drain pans is as well .

Quote Originally Posted by CELSIUS View Post
    and the G71, engineers!!! get off your a$$ and try it in the real world you lazy !!

I usually pull the rubber connector and gas line, then use a flexible shaft with 1/4" nut driver. when I put it back it it is only finger tight.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

A simple grommet for the rod to pass thru, with a set screw facing the front would be a simple and cheap design addition me thinks. But what do i know I am just a Tech.

On the g61 just remove the hole burner box it's super easy then you can see the inlet better and check burners

When I was trained on the G61, they told me to remove the burner box cover and rubber exhaust boot to access the sensor, so I never really looked for an easier option. furnacedoc are you saying it's easier to remove the whole burner box? If that's the case, I can't wait for my next G61 maintenance call so I can try it.

Quote Originally Posted by furnacedoc View Post
    On the g61 just remove the hole burner box it's super easy then you can see the inlet better and check burners
    I heard that from one of our guys, but it seems more work than removing the boot.

don't you have to remove gas valve, wiring and what about the combustion air intake pipe?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Definitely not easier to remove burner box on G61!
    I love my job, because it allows me to help people. I just dislike the part where the people I'm trying to help, want to help me help them.