Post Likes

Experienced mechanic starting centrifugal chillers - need some tips

This week my foreman quit to persue other career prospects after being on the tools for the last 22 years. This was a huge loss for me as he has been a great mentor and a source of stability to my job. In his letter of resignation he suggested to my general manager I be trained to be the primary mechanic on our chiller accounts immediately ignoring the fact I have no prior experience with centrifugal or flooded systems.

I have worked with many screw compressors and dx chillers but never anything over 120hp in capacity. Im up for the challenge but I don't have much in the place of hands on experience with this kind of thing.

Im looking for some training most of all. Anything in North America would help, company would pay for it and I'd be glad to study any literature anyone has for a general overview of centrifugal and flooded systems.

Anyone have any tips or ideas of where I can get some training?

Post Likes
    trane has some decent centrifugal seminars. i have gone to them and they wont make you an expert but will get you alot of literature on them and you will understand how they work.

Post Likes
    I've heard great things about the Daikin centrifugal class. They have one for their magnetic bearing and one for regular centrifugal. The regular one is two weeks, one for theory and one for tear down. I know a few people who have gone and they said it was great.

Post Likes
    give me ur email, Sorry, email addresses are not permitted in post, please put it in your profile, thank you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-28-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by copperteeth View Post
    This week my foreman quit to persue other career prospects after being on the tools for the last 22 years. This was a huge loss for me as he has been a great mentor and a source of stability to my job. In his letter of resignation he suggested to my general manager I be trained to be the primary mechanic on our chiller accounts immediately ignoring the fact I have no prior experience with centrifugal or flooded systems.

I have worked with many screw compressors and dx chillers but never anything over 120hp in capacity. Im up for the challenge but I don't have much in the place of hands on experience with this kind of thing.

Im looking for some training most of all. Anything in North America would help, company would pay for it and I'd be glad to study any literature anyone has for a general overview of centrifugal and flooded systems.

Anyone have any tips or ideas of where I can get some training?
    Look into Entech sales downt I'm Texas that offer several different manufacturers training.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. Likes freeworldout liked this post
    Post Likes
    Sorry, email addresses are not permitted in post, please put it in your profile, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    I'd avoid jumping into it without some confidence,centrifugals are usually pretty simple but when they have problems its like the whole world is watching you.
    Plus you never know if the guy who left is going to use your inexperience to steal work back.Good luck
    In this buisness you can't rely on anyone to train you .You have to take it upon yourself,read and ask questions show interest.

9. Likes nutradesman, CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Agree with dilp172; confidence goes a long way. I see mechanics who think they want to work on centrifugals but the minute things don't go their way they panic.

11. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    looks like Entech in Dallas is the place to go for Training , I looked into the week long class for YKs, both weeks are sold out and 14 people on waiting list , must be good

Post Likes
    I just did the class for the yk/yt and would definitely recommend it to anyone. Very detailed and very good instructors. You have to sign up as soon as the classes are released I think in like July to get a spot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk