Bryant heat exchanger warranty

Hi,
    I have a Bryant 340MAV gas furnace installed in our townhome around 1999 when the subdivision was built. It has recently stopped working... Error code 31. Tech came out and said my secondary heat exchanger is blocked/rusted out and the pressure switch stays open. He said these "builder's grade" furnaces are junk I can opted to get it replaced $ or he recommends me buying a new furnace. There is a bit of rust on the base of the furnace right under the condensation trap. He said this is a tall tell sign of the defective heat exchanger...but to me i think it was the bad hose connection from the trap. I fixed the hose myself by putting a 90deg elbow in it to eliminate the kink in the hose. Worked perfectly now.

Googling around i found some mention of a class action suit against Carrier/Bryant about these heat exchangers. Does my furnace qualify? I am the second owner of the home. The tech guy that came out never mentioned anything about a warranty and they said they are a Bryant dealer.

I live up here in Ontario Canada. Do the lawsuits matter where you live?
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-12-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: $$

Quote Originally Posted by paulo500 View Post
    I have a Bryant 340MAV gas furnace installed in our townhome around 1999

There is a bit of rust on the base of the furnace right under the condensation trap. He said this is a tall tell sign of the defective heat exchanger...
    Carrier/Bryant has a very specific procedure to test the heat exchanger on their 90% furnaces.

Ask the contractor if he has a combustion analyzer in order to do this test.

If this test fails, the heat exchanger should be replaced under the 20 year warranty.

It also must be determined that the failure was due to defects in material or workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

The option of credit toward a new system is available too. This might be a good choice as your system is 12 years old.

Remember that labor costs, including diagnosis, are not included in the warranty.

Side Note: please do not put pricing in your posts(see site rules) - thanks
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Ok thanks for the response.
    Im not sure if the tech used a combustion analyzer. I called one contractor and they took down the serial/model number and said that it does qualify. They will send a tech out (free) to verify everything.
    I don't really care about the cost of labour because it's still way cheaper than buying a brand new furnace. Even when they replace the old (not to code) black abs venting pipes.
    What's the point in a new furnace if we're only going to stay at this place for another couple years at the most.