Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pop quiz for new guys ...

You walk up to a outdoor unit and as you approach its totally off , then you hear it try to start for 2 seconds and stops.

It kinda goes like this .... aaaaaaaack , click

1 minute later it goes aaaaaack, click

You put your head over top to look down inside to see anything fishy and you notice its kinda warm on your face and the thing isnt even running ... hmm ..

You pull dissconnect , take top fan assembly off and reach down to feel compressor, its friggin 500 degrees !

What do you do next before pulling out any more tools ????

A - go tell the customer they need a new compressor because this ones burnt up

B - go get your Hard Start capacitor kit

C - go take some other calls and come back later because its too friggin hot to mess with

D - gently tap the compressor housing with a mallet to free it up

E - waahoooo lets cook some eggs !!

ummmm none of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    ummmm none of the above?
    We know there are many tricks as what to do next as a Seasoned Tech whos seen this many times before ... but you have to choose one option above in this scenerio, and explain WHY you would choose it.

Sure ... I could have listed 20 different possible things you could have done, but a New guy isnt going to know any of it.

You have 12 other calls with people screaming to get to today , what option would you choose.

D, try and free it up? If not, then put a hard start kit on it and see if will start up. But if its on OL, then I would spray it down and cool it off...

If you hear the overload going off and on and the fan isn't running then the problem is probably with the dual cap. But there is no substitute for being there. So from what you are saying I wouldn't do anything that you suggested either, I would check the dual cap first. This is bordering on DIY in an open forum IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    You walk up to a outdoor unit and as you approach its totally off , then you hear it try to start for 2 seconds and stops.

It kinda goes like this .... aaaaaaaack , click

1 minute later it goes aaaaaack, click

You put your head over top to look down inside to see anything fishy and you notice its kinda warm on your face and the thing isnt even running ... hmm ..

You pull dissconnect , take top fan assembly off and reach down to feel compressor, its friggin 500 degrees !

What do you do next before pulling out any more tools ????

A - go tell the customer they need a new compressor because this ones burnt up (NOPE BECAUSE THERE HAS BEEN NO DIAGNOSIS)
    B - go get your Hard Start capacitor kit (WELL, ONCE YOU DO THIS YOU WILL SEE THAT THE DUAL CAP IS EITHER LEAKING ALL OVER THE PLACE OR IT STILL WONT WORK BECAUSE THE DUAL CAP HAS NOT BEEN CHECKED)

C - go take some other calls and come back later because its too friggin hot to mess with (HELL, MIGHT AS WELL GO HOME CAUSE THE NEXT CALL WILL BE JUST AS MUCH TROUBLE)

D - gently tap the compressor housing with a mallet to free it up (AGAIN, THE TIME SPENT DOING THIS COULD HAVE SPENT DIAGNOSING THE UNIT INSTEAD OF RANDOMLY FINDING WAYS TO TRY AND MAKE IT WORK...."UH.... HIT COMPRESSOR WITH HAMMER CAUSE IT DONT WORK")

E - waahoooo lets cook some eggs !!
    DIAGNOSE.... DONT GUESS! IT WILL SHOW THE CUSTOMER YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Find sequence of operation from install manual. Match with wiring diagram to produce a map and let you know what it is supposed to be doing and what it is doing. This will take much less time than guessing and save you alot of time. Time=Money

Quote Originally Posted by petermccurley View Post
    Find sequence of operation from install manual. Match with wiring diagram to produce a map and let you know what it is supposed to be doing and what it is doing. This will take much less time than guessing and save you alot of time. Time=Money
    Pete,
    8 outta 10 of the units your gonna run into wont have a diagram. Most have issues because there old. So the chances of the unit still having a diagram on it is 1 outta 10. The sequence of operations is all the same. Even on HP's. The compressor starts, doesnt start or tries to start. A compressor humming on and off shouldnt take a wiring diagram either. Granted some manufacturers may have extra safetys in the circuit than others would. But the SEQUENCE is still the same. This is why snapper didnt get into detail with system specs. Cause it doesnt matter.

I consider myself new, and I dont do the water cooling thing anyway.

So I would (after its cool)...VERIFY PROPER SUPPLY VOLTAGE and then.....->->->->

1. check cap,
    2. if cap checks good.. amp out on start up to verify locked rotor
    3. try a hard start
    4. if no luck, try knocking it
    5. invite the customer outside for some ham n eggs while you give them the bad news.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

My answer is D and the E . Am I right?

I picked D because it is the best answer given the choices. I picked E because I am on my lunch break and I'm a little hungry.

your looking for D.
    BUT if the fan does not run, its the cap...just had a call Monday just as described.....
    didn't bother with pulling cover off, replaced dual cap and removed WRONG start kit installed by a hack....
    Last edited by Artietech; 10-05-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: cant spell
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Like some of the other guys I wouldn't choose any of the options above. There are many other things that I would check prior to pulling the top off the unit.

Forgot this was for new guys/girls.
    Last edited by tipsrfine; 10-05-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Erased answer
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast