+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vermont casting comfort control valve

Post Likes

Confused vermont casting comfort control valve

I have a vermont casstings with a remote control to control the gas valve, the owner wants to install a thermostat. I found 2 black wires conected where the remote seems to connect, spliced in my thermostat, call for heat, it lights up. The only problem is after a few minutes the pilot cuts out and refuses to stay lit. It runs on the local setting just fine, but with no control. Is it possible to modify this or must I change the gas valve, any ideas?

Post Likes

Cool

Read the site rules--no DIY advice.

I think I can say that if you are not familiar with this product then you should not be working on it.

For one, the appliance must be listed to a heater rating to run off a thermostat
    Second, either wire it to a remote or t'stat but not both.

Post Likes

sorry I ask

To Hearthman, if I was familiar with this product, I would not have to ask, is this not what this site is all about?

Post Likes
    What's wrong with the thermostat on the comfort control remote?

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ebaens View Post
    To Hearthman, if I was familiar with this product, I would not have to ask, is this not what this site is all about?
    Please read the site rules. This site is about general information but not specific technical info. esp. when someone is asking how to fix something themselves. That constitutes DIY. I gave you some general info. on this unit. Other than that, you should call a hearth pro for service. You can call Vt. Castings/ Majestic but good luck.

Celsius- with any millivolt system, it is not a good idea and usually not recommended by the mfr to have so many switching points. It adds to the voltage drop of a rather sensitive system. My general recommendation for all millivolt systems is to remove unnessary switching connections and ensure the remaining connnections are rock solid. For instance, one mfr. ships their units with a pigtail off the low voltage rocker switch to facilitate connections. That means they use a cheap piggyback solderless connector to another cheap connector. I remove these wires, crimp T&B Sta-Kon (read expensive) terminals at just two ends thus simplifying the wiring while vastly improving each connection by using the very best connectors. This has solved many, many operational problems and certainly headed off many, many callbacks.

As for the stat, we don't know what type of stat it is or how much resistance and voltage drop it has..

We still don't even know the model of this unit

Post Likes
    I understand hearthman, and agree 100%! I have gone to many calls where problems occurred because of improper or poor wiring.
    Although it has been a few years since I worked on a Vermont Castings/Majestic "Comfort Control" system. I seem to recall the remote control systems having a thermostat control built-in, that adjusts the flame according to need... ie. the higher the dif. between the set temp and the room temp, the higher the flame. As the temp gets closer to the set temp the flame reduces in size. Also shuts the burner down when the room temp reaches 90 deg as a safety feature. Am I wrong about that?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in