Commercial Smoker question for Pros

I am still waiting on a call back from the manufacture and I am studying the NFPA 96 and NFPA 211 manuals, but alot is in the gray when it comes to these solid fuel burning large smokers or I guess what the industry would call a BBQ pit oven in a commercial kitchen environment.
    This is an Oyler E1300 by J&R Mfg
    http://www.jrmanufacturing.com/brochures/OylerBar.pdf

My question is that they are venting this unit with type B venting, is this correct? I would assume type L or more aggressive piping like an all-fuel vent piping like triple wall chimney liner?

They have an exhaust hood installed over the doors of the log burner area, that is suppose to remove any smoke when the doors to the log burnering area is opened, but got a feeling from the looks of comparable manufactures that the size of this exhaust venter is under sized.

So I guess what I am asking the pro's if any of you are from Texas..LOL How, from your experience with these large solid fuel burning smokers are they controlling the smoke. Should they be using a Type I venter above the doors, would this smoke be considered grease laden and should it be an up-blast with grease filters over the access door to the smoker?

I know alot is based on the manufacturer, but still waiting for J&R to get back to me.

This is installed in a strip mall, which is one of my accounts. the owner of the strip mall in hind sight is asking me to look into this since all the neighboring tenants are pretty upset with the smoke being pushed into their suites. Something is not right with the means of venting the smoke when those doors are opened.

Any word from the manufacturer? I'm curious to hear what they said.

BTW, how's the BBQ?

Off the top of my head as a BBQ pit master at my own house... Temps in the barrel only reach 250-300*F so I would think B-vent would be more than enough. Local codes would most likely dictate that though.

Yes, you will get a fair amount of grease off that stack from the smoking process.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    This is an Oyler E1300 by J&R Mfg
    http://www.jrmanufacturing.com/brochures/OylerBar.pdf

They have an exhaust hood installed over the doors of the log burner area, that is suppose to remove any smoke when the doors to the log burnering area is opened, but got a feeling from the looks of comparable manufactures that the size of this exhaust venter is under sized.

This is installed in a strip mall, which is one of my accounts. the owner of the strip mall in hind sight is asking me to look into this since all the neighboring tenants are pretty upset with the smoke being pushed into their suites. Something is not right with the means of venting the smoke when those doors are opened.
    The dampers must not work right. According to the spec sheet there is supposed to be a draft inwards when the doors open. The local codes here would treat it as Type I Extra Heavy Duty cooking appliance. That include appliances utilizing solid fuel such as mesquite to provide all or part of the heat source for cooking. Unless specified differently by the manufacturer. That means that it would be under a "hood" with ma, fire protection and exhaust requirements. I'm sure that the manufacturer of the smoker is not going to pursue the UL and other certifications. You must have lax code officials in your area, that place would have been shut down after a few days here.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Here we have to adhere to Chapter 14 of NFPA 96. But to put that beast under a hood would be very pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    Any word from the manufacturer? I'm curious to hear what they said.

BTW, how's the BBQ?
    Yes, have they got back to you yet? They say that it is UL listed.If it is then it should also have a detailed installation manual.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook